sump pump frequency

During winter season, what frequency of sump-pump is considered as too much? Our sump-pump seems to pump water every few hours or so. Is this too frequent or considered as red flag?
red flags may be: pumps too frequently when only shallow water level in sump. allows water to overflow sump when on. "Checking your sump pump It is important to check your sump pump regularly to make sure that it is in proper working condition. Remove the cover and slowly pour water into the sump tank. Watch for the "float" to rise and trigger the pump. Once the pump is engaged, the water level will quickly lower and the float will shut off the pump. This is what is called "a normal sump cycle". " it says with much more reading for you at: http://www.sump-pump-info.com /
buffalobill wrote:

Another common problem is a bad check valve allowing much of the water that was pumped out to return.
Is the pump increasing in frequency or has it always been like this (seasonal differences taken into account.)?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

At my old house it never went for more than 30 minutes without cycling.
What makes you think it is a problem? Try unplugging it and seeing what happens. If it goes for a day without reaching the rim, maybe you can set the high water level higher; or even raise the whole pump up some. If the water threatens to overflow, then it is probably good where it is.
n_b wrote:

My pump cycles in under 5 minutes. Year around. I have small stream running past my house so I am assuming water level is high...Been here for 3 years.
--
Thank you,

CL Gilbert