sump pump float switch sticks on

I have a submersible sump pump that's only a couple of years old. To make a long story short, some work on the piping necessitated that I bring up the pump. With my pipes back together, I lowered the pump down only to find out that it now won't shut off.

I've examined it, and I can't see that the float would be getting stuck. The switch has some odd behavior, though. When raised up a little, it starts the pump. But when raised up just a little more, it latches, and the float is nowhere near heavy enough to bring it back down. And that's what's happening. The sump fills up, the float switch latches, and the pump doesn't stop.

Like I said, it's a fairly new pump. What part of this is normal behavior, and what is the problem? Is it supposed to latch? Is the float supposed to be able to unlatch it? Other than buy a brand new pump again, what can I do?

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

misfit815

Look at it. Figure out why it is misbehaving. Fix it.

Reply to
Bob F

If this is a float on the end of a power cord, the easiest thing to do is go to a hardware store and buy a new float switch. They go bad frequently.

Reply to
hrhofmann