sump pump failure and water away from gravity

I have a walkout basement. I had water problems 3 times during the last 4 years. The first time was after hurricane Isabel. I had 2-3" of water in the basement because the sump failed. The 2nd time and 3rd was due to long time power outage (20hr+), and were minor, as the water just rose over the pump cover.

The backyard is sloped down from the basement door, and the storm water pond (dry when not in big storm) is only less than 80' away from my house. I was thinking to rent a trencher from HomeDepot, dig and bury a 6" plastic pipe from the basement backdoor to the pond to lead away water.

But the lowest point in the basement is in the other end, that is not above ground outside. The sump is there. Dig a trench there means I need to dig a trench 5 - 6' deep there. If I just dig a trench next to the basement door, which is flush with outside grade, I just need to dig 1 or 2' to buy the pipe. Do you think it will work if I do not dig from the trench from the sump? Supposedly I have 4" of gravels under the basement concrete floor, and waster can go away from any exit. I do have the perimeter drain tiles outside the foundation.

Reply to
michaelqian2000

How about just running the 1 1/2" pvc from the sump location across the joists in the basement? Then, get a big-arse 3/4 hp pump to blow the stuff out. . By the way, i did the same thing, except I used 1 1/2" pool pipe (you know that black stuff) instead of the 6" underground. The pump has so much push the water blows out the other end about 100 feet away. . If you were going to do a 6" underground pipe, run both lines underground.

1 1/2 for the pump and 6" for your down spouts. I guess you could figure out a way to connect them... . There are many other options for this. The alt.home.repair guys are good.
Reply to
Jack

Do not run a pipe from your basement to the pond for gravity drainage unless you have several feet or more grade above the pond to the bottom of your basement. While most of the time it will work fine keeping the basement dry, the one time a lot of rain drains into the pond, it could raise the water level so that water will drain back into the basement and there will be no way of stopping it. This is what happened to my parents many years ago when a creek overflowed.

Reply to
EXT

Just get a battery backup sump pump and you will be all set. A lot cheaper too. I have a Basement Watchdog. Installation was easy.

Reply to
kevharper