Sump pump: crushed stone to gravel

Hi,
What's better to set a sump pump in: crushed stone or gravel. I heard crushed stone, but I have a ton of gravel (about 3/4") and I would like to use that if I could.
Thanks!
Sam

sit the pump directly on a patio stone, this raises it a bit to minimize crud getting into the pump.
gravel or stone both work provided water can pass thru them

Sam-
For what you're doing I doubt it matters all that much.
Gravel is a somewhat loose term, local dependent. In ScCal a lot of what goes for gravel is really crushed rock.
You might consider some sort of geotextile or substitute, like shade cloth, to minimize soil & debris infiltration.
If you really want to get technical take a look at these http://www.stormtech.com/download_files/pdf/techsheet1.pdf http://www.state.nj.us/dep/stormwater/bmp_manual/NJ_SWBMP_9.3%20print.pdf http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/WW/publications/pipline/PL_SP05.pdf
cheers Bob

Agree.
Here in NJ what he would want to use would be washed gravel. Regular gravel has some sand, clay, etc mixed in.

On 3/24/2012 10:19 AM, Sam Takoy wrote:

is there a difference?
--
Steve Barker