Sump Pump Check Valve Leak?

When my sump pump activates, some of the water drains outside while a significant amount sprays out around the rubber hosing of the check valve.

I removed the check valve and inspected it. The brand name is Checkmates(?) and it doesnt look like it has any cracks or anything. I read posts on how the check valve should be metal, well this one has a rubber flap.

Could anyone provide some insight into this?

Does this sound like it needs to be replaced, is it as simple as just tightening the rubber hoses on each side? Is there some sort of washer that it's missing? If it is something as simple as tightening the hose connectors, is there something that can be done to the inside to help with future leaks? (spraying with some kind of lubricant, etc?).

Just my luck, the forecast calls for rain for the next several days. Thanks in advance.

PS The home is now 12 years old if that's an issue

Reply to
fartfile

Absolutely. And get some new rubber connector kits while you're at it. Look over the available check valves and pick one that seems to be real sturdy. The very best won't cost more than a few bucks more than the el cheapos so don't skimp. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Is this a new phenomena? Are you sure it was installed in the correct direction? Is the check valve long enough to span the gap in the pipe with enough overlap for the clamp to form a good seal?

Reply to
Kai Seymour