Sump pump and toilet problem

In a three-story house built on the side of a hill, the bottom floor (level 3) has an apartment equipped with a sump pump to pump waste water up to sewer level.

When the sump pump goes off, water in a toilet bowl upstairs on level 2 is first sucked down a little, then rebounds with a splash. With each successive pumping the water level in the bowl gets a little lower.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Not a sump pump but a sewage pump or ejector.

The pump was incorrectly installed or else there is a venting problem with the toilet on level 2.

Without seeing it, my money is on an improper install. Get a knowledgeable local contractor to take a peek...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

The venting problem may be more than just one level. A bad install could haunt all the tenants for years. Sounds to me like a find it and fix it project is badly needed. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst