Sump Drainage Pipe

Today I noticed some water (very slow trickle) coming through a small crack in my basement foundation. I went outside and noticed a good pool of water on that side of the house. Just than my sump kicked on as I watched the water overflow out of the drainage pipe. My sump pump connects into the same drainage line as my down spouts for my gutter. Apparently my drainage pipe from my front down spout to the street (bubbler) must be clogged or worst case collapsed. I was going to call a plumber first thing on Monday, but my neighbor suggested I rent a sewer snake from home depot or lowes to snake it out tomorrow. The distance is about 20-25ft. My hope is that this frees up the clog if that's the issue.

So here are my questions:

1.) Are they expensive to rent? If so I may just call a plumber during the week. 2.) My guess is that its more likely that the pipe now has tree roots in it causing the issue than leaves and helicopters. Will a sewer snake cut through roots? 3.) It appears that the drainage pipe is ~4" will a sewer snake still work in a 4" drainage pipe? 4.) How hard are they to use?

Any advise? Amy.

Reply to
Amy L

If it's plastic 4" pipe I think you get a different type end to fit the snake. If it's tree roots and you clear them use copper sulfate. See link and do a google search for copper sulfate tree roots , I had hat happen to me 15 years ago.

tester

Forgot, also it may be the sump pump pipe the connects to the drainage line underground came loose and just keeps dumping the water and then recycling it right back to the sump like a continuous loop. I also had that happen. I hate sump pumps.

Reply to
tester

if the drain line exists above ground first try forcing a garden hose up from the exit end. most clogs occur there, right near or at the exit.

i flush my drain lines at least once a year to prevent clogs.

any chance you could drain the sump directly to the street or wherever and elminate the pump completely? this is frequently possible and elminates a big mess of troubles, like pump failure, power failure, check valve failure, leaking pump lines etc etc,

drain it directly if you can!

Reply to
hallerb

It will be much cheaper to rent than the service call for a plumber -- if you can get the clog cleared yourself.

I would try a conventional hand operated snake from the street end . It should be adequate to clear ant leaves that have entered the system .

Alternatively use a garden hose with moderate water pressure and attempt to flush out the debris.

Reply to
marks542004