Sump battery backup

Hello, I have the opportunity to get an APC UPS at a discount. Can I use this as a power source for a sump pump that draws 7 amps? I am not sure what size of UPS would work for this application. I would prefer not to install a backup sump if I can just plug the existing one into a UPS. Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jack

Not a chance in ... A 7a sump pump will draw (feel free to actually measure it, as they can vary widely) 20 to 25 amp when starting. Will your UPS supply 2500w? For how long?

Also, UPSs are square waves because computer power supplies don't care. But motors do. I wouldn't want to run my sump pump with square waves.

And finally, a back up will work if your sump pump breaks. A UPS is pretty useless then.

A backup pump only takes a couple hours to install.

Reply to
Toller

I agree with the other poster. It's much more practical to add a second battery-backup pump. They aren't that expensive (maybe $200 tops) and then you have double protection -- both if power fails, and if the main pump fails.

I added a "basement watchdog" pump several years back, after I had a very near flood during a brief (2 hour) power outage during a major rainstorm in a particurly rainy fall... (sump was just topping over the edge when the power came back on -- I was bailing like mad but no way could I keep up...)

Standard pumps use way too much power for standard UPS's, which are made for computers that take hardly any power.

My pump is supposed to be able to run constantly for 24 hours on battery... No UPS is gonna give you that...

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

This is unfortunately an idea frought with all sorts of potential problems.

Now, there probably is an APC ups with pure sine wave output that might do this duty just fine, but something tells me that even with a discount, the size you'll need for the inductive load of a standar sump pump a) it's gonna cost more than $250 and b) it wont provide you a completely redudant pump in the pit in case of main pump failure for reasons other than power outage.

I'd spend $250 on a Basement Watchdog that has the right battery matched with a compatible pump.

But do get an APC UPS for your computer. :-)

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Reply to
buffalobill