Sump basin question

Hello, Getting so many opinions on my sump installation. Here is one for you alt.repair experts. Bought a basin at HD. Removed a circular portion of the floor in the basement corner. Put the basin in the hole. The lip of the basin rests nicely on the floor.

Question: Some people tell me I should remove the bottom of the basin. Basically cut it off, then dig out about a foot below the basin, fill with stone, then put the pump on top of the stone. Just to be sure, also drill

1/2 holes in the side of the basin, and wrap the basin with landscape fabric.

Is this correct way to install the basin? Thank you.

Reply to
Jack

You're not pullin' my po' leg, are you?

It may work for you. It may not. I wouldn't recommend it. 'Twould not be a standard installation.

Google 'dig sump pit' or somesuch. Best I recall, dig the pit so there will be several inches clearance outside basin, maybe 6" below. Your holes in the side and fabric may be OK. First place 6" rock/gravel, then situate basin, then fill outside the basin with more rock/gravel. Then finish with concrete. The object is to keep the mud/sludge away from the pump -and- the flow holes in the basin sides. I added a couple tiny holes in the bottom of basin so standing water would eventually drain, not become fetid.

Cheers, Puddin'

Reply to
Puddin' Man