Sump basin question

Hello, Getting so many opinions on my sump installation. Here is one for you alt.repair experts. Bought a basin at HD. Removed a circular portion of the floor in the basement corner. Put the basin in the hole. The lip of the basin rests nicely on the floor.
Question: Some people tell me I should remove the bottom of the basin. Basically cut it off, then dig out about a foot below the basin, fill with stone, then put the pump on top of the stone. Just to be sure, also drill 1/2 holes in the side of the basin, and wrap the basin with landscape fabric.
Is this correct way to install the basin? Thank you.
That sounds like a fine way. water needs a way to get in.

You're not pullin' my po' leg, are you?
It may work for you. It may not. I wouldn't recommend it. 'Twould not be a standard installation.
Google 'dig sump pit' or somesuch. Best I recall, dig the pit so there will be several inches clearance outside basin, maybe 6" below. Your holes in the side and fabric may be OK. First place 6" rock/gravel, then situate basin, then fill outside the basin with more rock/gravel. Then finish with concrete. The object is to keep the mud/sludge away from the pump -and- the flow holes in the basin sides. I added a couple tiny holes in the bottom of basin so standing water would eventually drain, not become fetid.
Cheers, Puddin'
*** Puddin\' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom ***