Summer Projects!

Hello Experts! As winter comes to a close, I finally managed to get the remainder of my Christmas lights down off the house. While doing that, I was looking at the house and realized that a paint job is definitely needed this summer. The color of the house right now is a pale green with white trim. It has been this color for as long as I can remember, and I am tired of it! I want to change up to a deep red with white trim and put up some shutters, just to dress it up a bit. I am also looking into changing out the soffit from plywood to perforated vinyl. While doing that, I also want to add recessed lighting to the underside of the soffit. In addition to the above I am also looking into replacing my fallen fence in the back yard. So as you can see, I am going to have a very busy spring and summer on my hands but have a few questions before starting the tasks. First, when changing the color of the house from one extreme to another, I am concerned that it is going to take too many coats to cover. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for a better paint more suited to minimizing paint coats and covering up imperfections. I am also concerned with the shutters on one window. There is brick around that window and I'm not sure how to attach the shutters to the brick. I don't want to hurt the brick to badly, but really do want to install the shutters. Has anyone had any experience installing recessed lighting in the soffit? I do have some electrical experience, but should I look into hiring an electrician? I have included a picture of the house. I also included a picture of the house during Christmas. I had a light show and this picture shows all my lights on--Just for fun! :) Thanks for any help.
http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/camryguy89/?action=view&current=IMG_0689.jpg

If the present paint is in bad shape, you'll need to prime before painting. Tint the primer. But don't skimp with your painting. The primary purpose of painting is not (or should not be) for coloring.

Don't agree on mortar drilling. Yes, it is easier, but the downside is that any disturbance of the mortar allows water penetration, causing freeze-thaw damage. Over the years I have mounted all manner of things to brick, electrical conduit, gutter downspouts, and shutters too. Care must be taken not to use aggressive steel expansive devices which will cause rust stains later and crack the brick. The soft lead plugs work fine with todays stainless screws. Most carbide bits today with a decent rotary hammer drill will make short work of any common facing brick. Do it once, do it right.
Joe
Bob, thanks for the advice, I don't plan on selling the house anytime in the near future. I love the location, my neighbors are great, and frankly, I just love the house. I am merely doing these things for my own enjoyment and to see the house in a different color. If I don't like it, in another 4-5 years, I'll just paint over it!
As for the shutters, the brick is in good shape, but the mortar, as I found out with the chimney, may be becoming a bit soft. I may possibly need the chimney re bricked in the next five years. This is a common problem with houses in the development though. I may get an expert in to evaluate the situation and see whether or not the shutters will be a good idea, or to just leave the brick alone.
I haven't been up in the attic in about 10 years and can't honestly remember if there is good access to the eves or if it restricted. I would imagine them to be pretty clear as they are venting for the attic space, but as the house is pushing 50, its hard to say.
Sonny, would using a paint/primer in one do the trick? I was discussing it with a carpenter and he swears by it on the interior, but he had no experience with using it outside. Thanks to all for the great advice!

I was drilling two bricks to insert hooks. Both bricks broke loose. I had to pl premium back in. The bit was fairly large, an impacted. I don't think a little drill bit would loosen the brick.
I was thinking of adding an electric awning, but you have to attach it to wood, not bricks.
Greg