Sumbitch pain in the ass FAUCET SEAT!

Old style faucet in the bath tub started leaking two weeks ago. (Cold water side). Changed the washer, but that didn't work. Noticed that the seat felt a bit rough. Previous owners must've had a gorilla for a plumber, because the internal hex faces are totally stripped. No way to get the seat wrench to grip.

Now what? Don't say "replace the entire valve housing". Please.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Maybe an easyout. It looks like a screw or bolt with reverse threads on it. As you turn it in the reverse direction , the threads will grip the seat and turn it.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks - that goes on my list for cold-calling hardware stores tomorrow.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

There is another type that looks like a tapered square with little flutes in it. Just drive it in and turn.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Doug - There is also a seat dresser I think its called. A sort of grinder that will supposedly go in and smooth things over. Also, try a tapered washer to see if that will help. Some elcheapo faucets do not have removable seats!

Reply to
No

"clawfoot tub faucet" search ebay. lots to choose from in case you break that old seat.

buffalobill

Tapered washer - good idea. As far as "cheap", who knows what's in the wall. Circa 1956.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

it's a fine balance between amount of patience you want to put into it.

Many times it IS truly easier and quicker to just change out faucets......some real nice well-built ones I have installed that were under $60.with a warranty.

Reply to
NatlHomeServices

Nice price, but my soldering skills have only been practiced in spots with fabulous access from all sides. This bath situation would require soldering in very tight quarters through an access panel on the other side of the wall. Upstate NY - take a guess what 3 plumbers have quoted for labor to convert this to any new kind of faucet. Go ahead. Guess. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

grind the seat smooth again witha small stone on a shaft in your drill

Reply to
Chub

Use copper compression fittings to make the connections to existing copper piping. Make up other connections prior to installing the new faucet.

Reply to
Mr.E

A seat dresser or reamer is worth a try. You can also try a piece of emery cloth attached to the end of the stem. It may take several pieces depending on how bad the seat is. You will have to use the stem without the housing so you can rotate it at a constant depth. Another possibility is to grind a taper on an oversize hex wrench to wedge in the seat. Penetrating oil, heat, and impact can all help free it but use judgement.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Hmmm....I've used those before. Another idea into the skull. Thanks!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You obviously see how hard this is to "repair" and you've pondered for hours and days on how to fix it yet you seem to be complaining about the high price you were quoted by 3 plumbers to convert it!? Ever stop to think why not one but THREE plumbers have quoted you such a high price? If it were that easy, EVERYONE could do it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I'm not complaining about what they choose to charge. I'm saying I can't afford it at the moment. There's a difference between those two things, although I didn't explain myself clearly. It's around $400, by the way. When money's abundant here, I'm more than happy to pay people for their skills, especially plumbers, because there are few things more annoying than cleaning up a wet basement.

Reply to
Doug Kanter