Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

Which acid(s) will do this?

Reply to
mm

It is a vastly unappreciated danger

bud--

But sulfuric acid is (was?) a common drain cleaner. One of its features is attacking organic blocks. Would think drain cleaner would have to be strong. It was certainly one of the more hazardous household chemicals. The OP didn't say, but the sulfuric acid he bought was probably a drain cleaner.

My guess is that toilet bowl tends to get mineral accumulation. Hydrochloric acid breaks them down. Does sulfuric?

Reply to
bud--

yes, but the concentration is diluted and controlled. straight H2SO4 is very destructive

One of its features

some drain cleaners are alkali..sodium hydroxide...and they create glycerin, which is water soluble. sulfuric can attack all kinds of things in addition to organics...metals are a favorite

yes, vinegar would be better. it's much weaker but more easily controlled.

Reply to
bob

I've used liquid pool acid many times to clean up toilets in rentals as well as to clean off calcium and soap scum on shower doors and enclosures. I think it's muratic acid and I don't know how that might differ from sulfuric or if it's the same stuff by a different name.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid

Reply to
bob

Scotch toilet bowl "restorer" is nothing but sulphuric acid. Can be used for regular cleaning, too. Just be cautious with it: it can ruin your day if it gets on you. Also, a strong, almost explosive reaction can occur when it reacts with whatever you pour it on.

chrisklinger

I've used swimming pool acid to clean horribly stained toilets in rentals and the only problem is the fumes. You want to turn the exhaust fan on and/or open the window for plenty of ventilation. For normal cleaning the acid based store cleaners seem to work well. The non-acid ones are a waste of money.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Use pool acid instead.

Reply to