Sulfuric acid as toilet bowl cleaner?

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 21:38:38 -0400, "Robert Green"

this is ANOTHER danger...the vapors from the acid. concentrated acid vapors TRAVEL and will mix with ANY water...such as material remaining on the shower walls, etc...
and if you have pets in the house, they often do drink water from the shower (ours do).

On 3/29/2011 12:01 PM, bob wrote:

Some toilet bowl cleaners are (were) sodium bisulfate (Vanish for example). Sodium bisulfate is a powder which when mixed with water forms sulfuric acid.
I wouldn't mix methods. I think sulfuric acid and chlorine products can result in poisonous gas.

absolutely NO!!!
the concentration is unknown. pouring acid into water can lead to a raid dissociation reaction which can throw all kinds of stuff back in your face. AND the residue left behind...even a few drops...will be VERY dangerous.
i'm an MS chemist. i use H2SO4 routinely in my work. you do NOT want to do this. H2SO4 has some great properties when used in certain applications but it should NEVER be used for THIS applicatiion!

should be 'rapid' dissociation reaction...

I've used liquid pool acid many times to clean up toilets in rentals as well as to clean off calcium and soap scum on shower doors and enclosures. I think it's muratic acid and I don't know how that might differ from sulfuric or if it's the same stuff by a different name.

muriatic acid is another name for hydrochloric acid
replying to bob, chrisklinger wrote:

Scotch toilet bowl "restorer" is nothing but sulphuric acid. Can be used for regular cleaning, too. Just be cautious with it: it can ruin your day if it gets on you. Also, a strong, almost explosive reaction can occur when it reacts with whatever you pour it on.
http://www.scotchcorp.com/toilet-bowl-restorer.html#faq
On Fri, 08 May 2015 01:44:01 +0000, chrisklinger

I've used swimming pool acid to clean horribly stained toilets in rentals and the only problem is the fumes. You want to turn the exhaust fan on and/or open the window for plenty of ventilation. For normal cleaning the acid based store cleaners seem to work well. The non-acid ones are a waste of money.
chrisklinger wrote:

Use pool acid instead.