sulfer smell in water....

appears that our new well (60' deep) has a great flow rate of 40gph and good clarity but may have a prob with sulfer smell which varies depending on atmospehic conditions (none in the winter, bad in mid summer?) Solution? local water treatment 'salesman' at Conetico wants to sell us a 5K combined system to reduce hardness and inject clorine into well water. Did find a half assed honest former plumber at home depot that suggested a brita filter and over night storage of water in fridge. He even went so far as to say sulfer is good for you and sought out as mineral water in his native germany???? One solution sound rediculous simple, the other craxy expensive. what say you all????

Hmmmm...
Half assed "German former plumber"....
Hell, I'd do nothing--except maybe get a dog to blame the smell on....
--
SVL

Both are extreme, but I'd lean towards a filter. Have you had the water tested for other properties?

Well, you certainly covered all the bases: you consulted a full range of water treatment experts: a water treatment salesman and a wannabe plumber who works as a stock boy at HomoDepot. To further confirm your solution, you posted to a forum of crazies for self-affirmation.
You did good.
TEAM 3M wrote:

Long thread just concluded on similar subject. For well water to be dependent on atmospheric conditions implies there's surface contamination somehow or your storage is contributing to me.
I don't have direct suggestions since fortunately, we don't have such issues in well water here, but I'm w/ the other poster that says you need better advice than you've gotten so far.
And 40gph is good? It'd take two hours to fill a 80-gal pressure tank? I'd consider that a dry hole.

Try shocking the well. But not by cussing at it ;-)
It'll cost you some household bleach, and not using the water for a day. If the problem happens again, then think about the more expensive solutions.
Just google for "well chlorination instructions" (some links were posted a day or two in a different thread), and follow them carefully.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

First of all, I bet you meant 40 gallons per minute --
If that's correct, my guess is that you're located in Florida, somewhere just off the Lake Wales Ridge -- probably somewhere in Polk or Highlands County possibly around Lake Istokpoga near Lake Placid.
There are two possible solutions of which I'm aware --
1. A spray system in which the well water is sprayed or aerated before it enters the house. There is a company in Avon Park that markets that system, and some homeowners with experience have home-built similar systems.
2. Green Sand filter, which uses potassium permanganate to remove the hydrogen sulfide odor. The green sand filter is available from plumbing and well-drilling companies, and the Potassium permanganate is available from Home Depot and Lagrow's, and perhaps other locations.
-- Regards --