Suggestions on what to use for "exterior" ceiling

I have about a 4 to 5 feet overhang area, which is now covered with painted wood boards. It has been there for years and recently I had to remove a bunch of them to perform repair of the framing above it and leaks in the super-gutter above has caused the boards to rot. Over 60% of the boards are damages in some way, shape or form so I am in the process of riping them all down.

Here are some pics of what it looks before I took them down:

The board that is there now is still available at HD:

Millstead 11/32 In. or 3/8 In. x 4 Ft. x 8 Ft. 1.6 In. Plybead Pine Siding Model 538281 http://205.196.138.20/3/78/78eff07b-341b-4046-9d3a-0af7fb9a37b8_3.jpg at about $18 for a 4x8 sheet. It sort of look like a T&G wood ceiling but it does not, actually looks a little cheesy.

I am trying to decide what to do to replace it. Obviously one option is to use drywall, or to use the same board as before, but I would welcome any opinion/comment as to other options. I don't think I could afford a true T&G wood ceiling that is installed plank by plank.

Location is Miami, FL if it makes a difference.

Thanks!

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

That same sheet also comes in white. Look at it. Might lighten the area a bit.

Reply to
betsyb

Well, I don't think you would want to use drywall. One common solution for this type of area is soffit panels, vinyl or aluminum, available solid or perforated.

Reply to
DT

I'd avoid drywall as it would probably get damaged by moisture. If money was not an consideration, cypress would be great. I'd seriously look at some sort of vinyl siding material. There is a vertical style that looks like board and batten that may look good up there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote on 16 May 2007 in group alt.home.repair:

I'll second the nomination to NOT use drywall. I have a job next week to replace some 30-year-old soffit that was done with drywall. Squirrels gnawed through it, built a nest, and caused the drywall to fall off.

On the other hand, it DID last 30 years....

Reply to
Steve

Have you looked at some of the vinyl and aluminum soffit systems? That might save some $$ and eliminate the rot problem. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

538281http://205.196.138.20/3/78/78eff07b-341b-4046-9d3a-0af7fb9a37b8_3.jpg>

Man-o-man I hope you bought that house cheap. What'd you ever do with the AC in the big room?

Keep away from sheetrock. You've got too much humidity and you're asking for mold. HD has sheetrock without paper on it. That would be better because it would limit mold but you'd do better with green- board like you use in a bathroom. Then paint and add some anti-mold stuff to the paint just for good measure. Also, I find a glossier paint cleans up better and might help if any mold appears.

One you've rocked it, go talk to the HD paint people about some interesting painting techniques they have.

You might also vinyl side it (just kidding). Or popcorn it.

If you wanted to throw some bucks at it, you could tile the whole thing.

Reply to
Pat

Robert Allison

Sheetrock outside is idiotic. If you don't like beadboard, a traditional porch ceiling, put up T&G pine in a nice pattern, or even luan plywood like a soffit. Not rocket science. Unless you pay for fancy wood, you will want to prime well and paint. Not rocket science. If you want zero maint, go for one of the plastic-clad OSB panels like they sell to skin sheds with, or hardieplank of some sort.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

I don't think sheet rock would wokrk either. I am now thinking to use the same beadboard or some T1-11 ply.

Thanks,

Reply to
MiamiCuse