Suggestions on new washing machine

Page 2 of 2

They do a fabulous job. My only complaint is that the washer takes 50-70 minutes to do a wash. It's weird having a washer that takes longer than the dryer. I make up for it by doing huge loads.

Id like to have the LG unit that is BOTH a washer/dryer in one machine... but cant afford it.

But then you couldn't start the next load in the washer while the previous load is drying. I suppose one could always buy two of them. :-p That would also counter the inevitable reduced reliability.
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

wash at one time is probably good.

front loaders save water, sewage and energy, but cost so much more than top loaders they will never in their lifespan save any real money since they cost so much more......
just compare the purcase cost of front load vs top load, then add in much higher repair costs of front loaders......
drum bearing fails, need new drum bearing part of assembly, 500 bucks installed

Agree
That's what happened to my Kenmore front loader that I bought new in 2000.
The main seal and bearing failed after 7 yrs light use. Would have had to replace the ENTIRE inner drum unit as the bearing itself can not be replaced alone. Took unit to steel scrap yard where it is now setting. Never again
On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 10:18:56 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Do a search for the LE error and you will see quite a few people have seen this, some have fixed it by just unplugging the machine, others had to have parts replaced to fix it. Someone posted that everyone will see this problem, it's only a matter of when.

Keep your old Maytag and repair it at all costs when needed....I can't comment on the Maytag washers after they were bought out by Whirlpool but the ones prior to the buyout are complete trash. I would have paid $1000 now to repair our old Maytag's transmission when it went.
On Dec 3, 3:33 pm, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

We have two front loaders (one for us, one for our tenants) - one is a Maytag Neptune and the other a Whirlpool. Both have been workhorses. The Whirlpool is roughly 9 years old and has never needed a repair (knock on wood). The Neptune is about 5 years old and has had only one repair (blew an internal fuse last summer - took the repair guy about 5 minutes to find and fix. Since he was there, he gave the rest of the machine a quick check and said it looked fine). We like the Neptune the best as it does a very good job spinning the excess water out of the clothes resulting in less time in the dryer.
Chris
Hello,
    Thanks for everyones input on this...However the suggestions have been all over the place! I'm looking for something which won't tear my clothes. I'm sure that it was a defect in My Maytag Atlantis washing machine that was causing the problem but don't want to get a top loader unless the suggestion from the forum agrees I should give it a try. There was also suggestions on getting a Whirlpool so I'll start looking into that as well.
I'm looking into possibly getting this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02637432000P?filter=Brand%7CWhirlpool&vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Top-Load+Washers
Nick
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 15:33:49 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

That's the same model I've been looking at as well!
I'm single..... so don't think Id put a lot of "stress" on a washing machine so hopefully a cheap one will do OK
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02637432000P?filter=Brand%7CWhirlpool&vName=Appliances&cName=Washers+%26+Dryers&sName=Top-Load+Washers You may want to check the June 2007 Consumer Reports or their 2008 Buying Guide to see how bad some conventional top loaders have become. They rated the Whirlpool WTW 5840S(W) and similar Sears Kenmore models as being poor at getting clothes clean. OTOH the Whirlpool WTW5300Q rated average for washing, and it may be similar to the WTW5320S that you're considering.
www.fixitnow.com has appliance forums where you can find out from the technicians themselves what are the best, worst, and most reliable products.
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:00:35 -0800 (PST), "larry moe 'n curly"

I have always been a bit skeptical about CU and their repair stats. They will take 3 machines that are clones (Roper is a Whirlpool as is Kenmore) and come up with significantly different results. I think it may be more of a commetary about the respondents than the machine. Roper buyers may have lower expectations and don't call for service when trivial things happen and Sears buyers may have jobs that get their clothes dirtier. Until you can remove factors like that, a few percent in the statistic may be well below the margin of error.

Yep....saw that as well..... but I just cant afford a front loader even tho Id like one..... cant spend almost $1000 on one right now
So.... guess will just have to live with less clean clothes from top ,loader. <sigh>

Yep saw that in CR's Buying Guide
Strange thing tho... CR recommends the Whirlpool 5540 as an even better "cheap" top loader but I've not been able to find that model anywhere!! Is it discontinued?

Ok thanks