Suggestions on drywall repair - making it look good

Whenever I patch and paint over nail holes I can always see a smooth spot where the hole was.

Any good books or websites on doing a better job at patching drywall?

Reply to
The dude

That would indicate your walls are *not* smooth. So use some drywall compound to match the existing texture.

Reply to
dadiOH

Try using regular or setting type joint compound instead of vinyl products such as One Time. Sand with 180 or 220 grit sand paper , prime and paint....Good luck....DO NOT WET SPONGE......Makes it shiney EVERY TIME....

Reply to
benick

You can't damp sponge the harder type of setting type joint compound, such as Durabond. You can damp sponge the softer type of setting type joint compound, such as EZ Sand, but it takes more effort and produces an inferior finish compared to damp sponging standard joint compound.

I've essentially eliminated all sanding and use just a small amount of damp sponging to finish off the job. I do not have a problem with shiny spots, whether in the compound or paint finish. Using a damp sponge is the best way to apply joint compound to match textures, and that is what is causing the OP problems.

RicodJour

You can't damp sponge the harder type of setting type joint compound, such as Durabond. You can damp sponge the softer type of setting type joint compound, such as EZ Sand, but it takes more effort and produces an inferior finish compared to damp sponging standard joint compound.

I've essentially eliminated all sanding and use just a small amount of damp sponging to finish off the job. I do not have a problem with shiny spots, whether in the compound or paint finish. Using a damp sponge is the best way to apply joint compound to match textures, and that is what is causing the OP problems.

How do you apply joint compound with a damp sponge to fix nail holes? Where did the OP say he had textured walls? I've been in the drywall business for over 20 years and have worked with MANY painters both high and low end and that is the way they want it done. You've elimnated sanding huh? Even after the primer coat on new drywall or plaster ? Most painters I know spend almost as much time sanding and preping as they do painting especially the trim...You don't have a clue......I wouldn't let you paint a doghouse for me..

Reply to
benick