Suggestions from your experience organizing metric & english combination box/open end wrench sets?

To close the loop, I organized all my wrenches.

Fortuitously, I was working on the bicycle, replacing tubes, when I hit upon the idea of slicing the rubber tire tube in various ways to make wonderfully strong straps and rubber bands.

Then, I piled up a set of 5 to 8 wrenches (depending on physical size) and banded them together in the drawer, with a stiff piece of cardboard keeping them lined up (banding the cardboard with the wrenches).

I put all the combination wrenches in a band (box on one side, open end on the other); I put all the double-open-end wrenches in another band; all the three-quarter-around brass pipe wrenches in another pile; bent ignition wrenches in another set; ratchet box wrenches in another set; etc.

The cardboard stiffener isn't perfect; steel or very thin wood would be better; so I'll look for copper or steel plate that will help keep the bands together.

Perfect, once the wrenches are banded, would be wrap-around steel plate that clips into place, perhaps with velcro. I'll work on that next.

Thanks for all the great ideas! Organizing wrenches must be one thing almost all of us have in common!

Reply to
Bill Horn

My biggest problem is organizing my wenches.

Excel helps.

Reply to
HeyBub