Suggestions for replacing T1-11 siding?

I live in Portland, OR. The T1-11 siding on the south side of my 25-year- old house is warped and generally cruddy. It's a two-story home; the roof peak is about thirty feet above ground level.

I've done a good bit of indoor remodeling myself, but never replaced siding. I'm reasonably tool-handy. I intend to install new T1-11. Any suggestions or good advice?

I'm thinking of renting some scaffolding, since I'm mildly acrophobic and hate wobbling around on tall ladders.

Tnx, dave

Reply to
David Read

Siding isn't too difficult to install but there are always details that you won't know unless you have some experience. If this is your first time I would get the manufacturer's installation specifications and follow them exactly.

You won't be able to do this job alone--trying to hold in place a

4'x8' sheet of siding and nail it at the same time is impossible to do--especially if you are off the ground.

Do you have the proper tools? A nail gun and compressor will make the job go a lot faster.

I Houston T-111 isn't used any more, there are much better fiber-cement products on the market, like Hardie Siding. Fiber-cement won't rot, is termite proof, and takes paint a lot better than wood. Also, you can get it in a lap siding that is preferable to 4'x8' sheets (which you could also get if you want).

Bruce A&B Construction Houston, TX

Bruce

Good advice. I for sure wouldn't replace it with the same stuff since that has already demonstrated a failure.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K