Suggestions for insulation above drop down stairs

Anyone have a suggestion for insulation to go above drop down stairs. Something that is fairly convenient to move out of the way as we go into the attic fairly often. Either home made or commercial.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff

I recently saw an ad for a thin styro shell that fits into the space. Folded stairs fit into it as you close the door. Obviously lightweight and easily moved. Not exactly R30 but it will help seal the gap around the door and reduce heat loss.

I was actually thinking of getting one myself. If I find the link, I'll repost here.

--Jeff

Reply to
JB

At the Borg they have a styrofoam item that looks like a bathtub made to do that job.

Reply to
beecrofter

Instructions for making your own attic stair cover can be found here:

DerbyDad03

my grandfather made this years ago. The stairs was hinged on one end and the foam on the other. As the stairs went down a cable pulled the foam and plywood up. The cable could also be used to pull yourself up the stairs because the plywood would touch up against the roof and the cables were pretty tight.

/ / / ------------ floor / / / stairs

Reply to
HotRdd