Suggestions for anchoring wood post to ipe decking

I just replaced the decking on our covered entrance porch with T&G ipe decking.

Now I need to find a way to re-anchor the porch columns and railing posts back to the decking or joists below. The posts which I am re-using were previously just toenailed to the decking (and maybe the joists below) with 16d or 20d galvinized finish nails.

If the new deck were regular wood, I could have either toenailed in finish nails again or toenailed in trimhead deck screws.

The challenge with Ipe is that it needs predrilling to prevent splitting or breaking of the fastener.

However, for toenailing a post, I would need a drill bit that is about

4 inches long in order to go through the post and then into the decking and beyond. But, they don't seem to make thin drill bits in that length (or at least I couldn't find them in the Big Box store).

The only alternative I can think of is to use something like a 1/4" lag bolt but that would require some serious countersinking of the head and seems a bit of overkill.

So any other ideas on how to fasten suports to the deck surface (note since I am using the existing design with the existing posts and since I have already applied the deck, I don't have the luxury to redesign the post system)

Reply to
blueman

Sounds like just the place for a simpson post base. Select one that matches your application. Much stronger than toenailing and conforms to code for uplift if you get the right one.

Robert Allison

What size posts? I'll second the alternative, but go with a greater diameter bolt. "If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing." Tom

Reply to
tom

You may want to consider timberlock screws - they come in 4-1/2 to 12 inch lengths and are about 1/8 inch in diameter. The heads have a small washer like feature, but they are 1/3 the size of a lag bolt. I have been using them for several years with good results on decks, barns and other outdoor structures. The Borgs and Menards carry them.

Reply to
Doug Houseman

For small dia. long drill bits check a machine tool supply house.

Chuck P.

Reply to
Pilgrim

I'm not seeing the original post, so responding here.

First, I agree that a Strongtie is a good way to go.

But with regard to the drill bit, Sears normally stocks long bits down to 1/8 inch diameter, in diameter increments of 1/16. If you need smaller than that or an "in between" size, McMaster

has 6" and 12" bits in diameters down to 3/64 and go up from there by 64ths. Grainger
has them from 1/16 in increments of 1/32, Fastenal
lists a wide range of them. Grainger and Fastenal may have them in stock locally.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That sounds like a good idea! Much better than the 4" deck screws or Home Depot bagged #10x4" or #12x4" screws that I was considering.

Thanks.

Reply to
blueman

I'll check out Grainger - I actually have an account there but never thought of them for this (small) item.

Reply to
blueman