Suggestions for a large spa cover?

Page 2 of 2

I need to go shovel some more snow so I can get my car out, but I'll look into that. Thank you.
;-{
On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:22:10 -0800 (PST), uncle K

that sucker for free during the day in a sunny place.
I just have unglazed pool collectors on mine and I still get 20 degrees or more over ambient air by sundown. We don't run the heat unless we want to use it but if I am over 90, the heat brings it up pretty fast and for about six bits.

How little is *little*- Are the side walls insulated from the surrounding soil? What temp is it while unused? How much does it cost?
Just as a reference- my hot tub, in NY- gets used once a day. I keep it at a steady 101F. It has a thick cover on it-- and the base is well insulated.
I heat it with electricity, at about 15cents/KwH- it costs me about $30 a month, whether it is 0F or 80F.
-snip-

But even in Yuma, the sun sets, yes? I suspect you lose more than you gain from a passive solar color-- but I haven't run the numbers.
Jim

The spa and a 20' X 40' pool are available to 81 units, but only used by maybe 25% of them. The pool has a roll up cover in the winter to stay at about 82. The sun heats the pool during 6 or 7 summer months (but I'm not crazy enough to be there in the summer). The spa runs 365/24/7.

We keep it at 102, year round. Like everything else in the desert, the base is surrounded by sand.

It would be great to not even cover the spa, but due to long periods of non-use, it's a must. Another complication is that not just one person uncovers and covers it, so whatever we cover it with has to be relatively easy to handle, the lighter the better. Even the blue bubble tarp is a bit of a pain for older, less agile people.
;-{
On 12/23/2012 9:36 AM, uncle K wrote:

I don't think a custom cover is going to be easier. The one I had was pretty heavy. It really sounds like the solar cover is the best way to go. There isn't a magic answer unless you want to spend mega bucks (some sort of auto cover or enclose the spa)