Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Page 4 of 4

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:25:17 -0800, William Brammer

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Scepter-6792/p798.html

wrote Re Suggestion to pump gasoline from

To pay for that he'd have to siphon at least 750 gal. I think the money would be better spent on a marriage counselor.
William Brammer wrote:

you've GOT to be kidding, right? Why not just take your wife's car to the cheapskate place yourself? Fill it for her if you're worried about a nickle.
William Brammer wrote:

Easier way is for YOU to buy a couple 5 gallon gas cans. Take them with you and fill them up on the way home. Top up the wifes car as needed. Also gives you gas on hand if YOU run low.
--
Steve W.

This can be dangerous too. The answer is that his wife should fill it when she is in town, or he should take her car every week or two and fill it up.
You cant foolproof this type of situation. Fools are too clever at getting around almost every precaution.

I agree with others that what you are planning is not practical and may be dangerous. That said I installed a valve on my truck in the fuel line that I can open and it will let me draw gas from the truck. I have used this for lawnmower gas, helping a stranded motorist and lantern and generator fuel when camping. Since traded that truck in and the current model will shut down the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine isnt started. I miss the old setup and have thought about just putting together a set of hoses with an external tank fuel pump that I can keep in my tool box.
Jimmie

I agree with others that what you are planning is not practical and may be dangerous. That said I installed a valve on my truck in the fuel line that I can open and it will let me draw gas from the truck. I have used this for lawnmower gas, helping a stranded motorist and lantern and generator fuel when camping. Since traded that truck in and the current model will shut down the fuel pump after a few seconds if the engine isnt started. I miss the old setup and have thought about just putting together a set of hoses with an external tank fuel pump that I can keep in my tool box.
Jimmie
******** It is done, and has been done, but is probably not the best of ideas.

Friend of mine has a Carter electric fuel pump screwed to a large board (to keep it from flopping around in use) with lengths of rubber fuel hose attached to it for just this purpose. Wired up with heavy zip cord with alligator clips so you can clamp onto the battery terminals of your car. Works great on older cars; utterly useless on a newer car with an anti-siphon baffle in the filler neck.
nate
JIMMIE wrote:

If I remember correctly, back in the 70's during the Arab oil embargo, the Alabama State Troopers had the patrol cars modified to dispense some fuel for stranded motorists who ran out of gas on the Interstate. The announcement included a statement that the measure was not meant to get you to your travel destination but to get you safely off the highway and to a gas station.
TDD
JIMMIE wrote:

Back in mechanical fuel pump days, lotsa sheriff and state cop cars in Indiana had a setup like that, for helping stranded motorists out in the boonies. A tee, a valve, and about ten feet of fuel line coiled up on the fender liner. (First seen when I was a little kid wandering by the gas station, and a state cop was filling up and looking under the hood. Of course I went and looked, and the cop indulged my curiosity.)
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

Yep, The Alabama State Troopers did it too back in the early 70's during the Arab oil embargo.
TDD

I was going to offer some suggestions but William Brammer stepped up to the plate and went 4-for-4 (we're waiting for an instant replay review of the fifth at-bat; whether it went fair or foul depends on how far, and which way, your wife drives). If I may summarize: you're going to some nontrivial expense and exposure to danger (if you must do this, "just outside the garage" is an excellent thought!) to save, in the big picture, not very much money.
We think of gasoline as fairly safe stuff, but it really isn't -- it just seems that way because we use some pretty specific technology, and safety rules, when storing and handling it.
--Joe

Gas transfer + water heater = disaster. Gas up both cars yourself or grow a pair... ;)
On 1/6/2010 10:25 PM, William Brammer wrote:

My suggestion is that you buy 2 cars that are identical in every way and switch them while the little lady is sleeping. You'll have to 'esplain why her car never needs any gas and why your car needs constant refilling but I'm sure you'll come up with something. :-)
William Brammer wrote:

Do the math- unless she is going to a station that caters to seniors and is still full-serve, the hi-lo split is seldom more than ten cents per gallon. How far out of your way do you go to get to the cheap station? How far would she have to go, compared to the streets she usually drives? It costs about 30 cents a mile to drive a car. What is your time worth? If her buying the fancy stuff bugs you that much, get up early on Sat, and take her car down to the corner and fill it yourself. Modern cars usually have anti-siphon flaps in the filler neck, so unless you buy a farmer-style transfer pump, there is no cheap way to do what you want to do.
If that is the most extravagant/annoying thing she does, count your blessings. Remember, most women prefer going to 'nice' places, even gas stations. She may simply find the cheap place to be nasty.
-- aem sends...

My wife is just as bad in the opposite way. She drives 16 miles round trip to save $0.15/gal. She drives a Chey pickup with a 350
Jimmie

Had one of those with a Holly 4bbl. It could suck up black holes.
William Brammer wrote:

I'd be getting in contract with Dr. Phil on this one. Either he will have you buying more expensive gas, or the wife will be buying cheaper gas. Shouldn't take more than a few years of therapy.
On Jan 8, 8:36am, FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Or Susie Orman!
She'd say you've got 15 gallons a week times 20 cents savings per gallon times 50 weeks in a year times 30 years in your marriage = $4,500 over the life of your marriage.
Back to Dr. Phil, he'd note that it's 10 minutes per week times 50 weeks times 30 years which is 250 hours spent improving your marriage.
You only can decide if the 250 minutes improving your marriage are worth the $4,500 you save doing it!