Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Page 2 of 4

Search google.com for...
Hand gas pump
or
DC gas pump
"William Brammer" wrote in message

1. Go out for donuts and coffee every Saturday morning while your wife sleeps in. Take her car, and fill it up yourself while you're out. Don't tell her why; simply let her assume it's because you're a loving, devoted husband, and reap the rewards of that assumption.
2. Do The Math, Part I -- how much time and gas do you spend, driving out of your way to get the least expensive gas you can find? If you drive five miles out of your way to save a nickel a gallon, you're effectively placing a value of less than $3/hour on your time.
3. Do the Math, Part II -- what's the difference between what you pay, and what she pays? Maybe 10-12 cents per gallon? So the fifteen gallons you propose to transfer every week represents a savings of $1.50 to $1.80 a week in gasoline costs. How many years before the pump pays for itself?
4. Do the Math, Part III -- Repeat the previous calculation, subtracting a reasonable value for the time you spend doing this from the amount you save on gas. *Now* how long before the pump pays for itself? (Hint: if the value you place on your time exceeds about $6/hour, the answer to this question is "never".)
5. Do the Math, Part IV -- if your wife is using fifteen gallons of gas a week commuting to and from work, you need to buy her a more fuel-efficient car. I can drive my Saturn over 400 miles in the city, and over 500 on the highway, on fifteen gallons of gas. I bet your wife isn't driving 80-100 miles a day.
William Brammer wrote:

Just about any pump made for the purpose should work.
There ARE alternate ideas, some of which have been mentioned.
My favorite would be the reverse of what you propose: Remove some (amount of) gasoline from HER car and put it in YOUR car. As the price she must pay to run errands increases dramatically, she may, on her own, move to reduce her expenses.
Most cars, now days, have baffles and such to prevent siphons. I'd suggest to keep a 5 gal gascan in your trunk, and fill it when you fill. Pour that gasoline into her tank when you have a moment. That will take some of the strain off her fuel bill.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On 1/7/2010 8:45 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

The new gasoline containers regulated here in DE are a real PITA - slow to pour and often spill the gas they were meant to store without fumes or spillage. And, running around town to buy the cheapest gas is often not cost effective. You may save a nickle a gallon but burn a gallon going out of your way.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:56:32 -0500, Frank wrote:

I wish, oh how I wish, I could find on the Internet a gasoline container like the old style! (two holes ... a capped vent and a pour spout). Out herre, we have these CARB-mandated gas cans which are "supposed" to prevent fumes.
I never spilled so much gasoline in my life. I guess I could find a 10-gallon gas can somewhere, and that might work as you suggested.

I drive by a Costco every morning and evening so that's where I get the cheapest gas (it's less than $2.90/gallon where, in town, nothing is less than $3.08 and many are more).
On 1/7/2010 09:12, William Brammer wrote:

Well silly you aren't supposed to use it for filling your car. You are supposed to go and buy the cans that algore says you can't have to do that...

Use her car once a week and gas it up.

NYS also has the gascans with spring loaded vapor trapping spout. I usually screw the spout off, and pour through a funnel.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
William Brammer wrote:

You already have a fuel pump in your tank. Tap the fuel rail on the engine. There is usually a drain tap there. Connect a hose to that, stick it in your wife's gas tank filler and turn the key on.

That is the dumbest idea so far.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:27:01 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)
If you're not joking, I'll have to look.
If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure connections.

I thought you were joking. Do you really think it's worth buying a pump or taking any chances? How many miles do you and your wife drive? This sounds more like a domestic argument that got out-of-hand.

I have in fact used a line from the fuel rail to fill a generator fuel tank from a car in an emergency situation. You can do it. It's not something I'd want to do except in an emergency, though.
The thing is, though... you have a social problem. Technical solutions don't solve social problems, and attempts to solve social problems with technical solutions result only in disaster and angry wives. --scott

wrote in message

And to top it off he's talking about 20 cents a gallon.
Sometimes I shake my head and wonder why my wife does things but I remind myself that she's as smart or smarter than I am and she has her reasons. If I was concerned about the 20 cents I'd ask why she doesn't look around. Then I'd just accept the explanation. Even if it's just "I don't want to."

Hence my suggestion that he go out for donuts and coffee every Saturday morning while she sleeps in, take her car, and fill it up himself while he's out.
Doug Miller wrote:

Another possibility, he wants to go high sniffing gas fume while x-ferring gas? Maybe that's it, LOL!
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Hmm. Lethal injections, abortion, and predator drones come to mind as technical solutions to domestic problems.

He's going to save three dollars a week doing what he wants to do.
--
Tegger

On 01/07/2010 10:27 AM, William Brammer wrote:

Depends on the make and model. If there isn't it's not a big job to put a union and tap valve there. Fuel constantly circulates from and to the tank around the rail. It's a good place to tap off.