Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Well silly you aren't supposed to use it for filling your car. You are supposed to go and buy the cans that algore says you can't have to do that...

Reply to
George

That is the dumbest idea so far.

Reply to
ransley

There's a "drain" tap on the fuel injection rail? (or are you joking?)

If you're not joking, I'll have to look.

If a fuel rail tap exists, maybe it's threaded for nice secure connections.

Reply to
William Brammer

I thought you were joking. Do you really think it's worth buying a pump or taking any chances? How many miles do you and your wife drive? This sounds more like a domestic argument that got out-of-hand.

Reply to
Master Betty

Depends on the make and model. If there isn't it's not a big job to put a union and tap valve there. Fuel constantly circulates from and to the tank around the rail. It's a good place to tap off.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I have in fact used a line from the fuel rail to fill a generator fuel tank from a car in an emergency situation. You can do it. It's not something I'd want to do except in an emergency, though.

The thing is, though... you have a social problem. Technical solutions don't solve social problems, and attempts to solve social problems with technical solutions result only in disaster and angry wives.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

If it's not, the husband is doing something wrong....

Reply to
Doug Miller

And to top it off he's talking about 20 cents a gallon.

Sometimes I shake my head and wonder why my wife does things but I remind myself that she's as smart or smarter than I am and she has her reasons. If I was concerned about the 20 cents I'd ask why she doesn't look around. Then I'd just accept the explanation. Even if it's just "I don't want to."

Reply to
Master Betty

Hence my suggestion that he go out for donuts and coffee every Saturday morning while she sleeps in, take her car, and fill it up himself while he's out.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Hmm. Lethal injections, abortion, and predator drones come to mind as technical solutions to domestic problems.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hi, I wonder how much he saves doing that. Too cheap gas can cause trouble in cold winter. Hope he hs a fire extinguisher habdy while doing it. I fill my wife's car. We always fill up when tank goes half full in winter.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:25:17 -0800, William Brammer wrote Re Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage:

Caesar Romano

Just switch vehicles once a week. Or can't she drive your vehicle?

Reply to
Tony

you've GOT to be kidding, right? Why not just take your wife's car to the cheapskate place yourself? Fill it for her if you're worried about a nickle.

Reply to
Steve Barker

To pay for that he'd have to siphon at least 750 gal. I think the money would be better spent on a marriage counselor.

Reply to
Master Betty

Under pressure. Very possible to spill gas in your garage. Lot of work and trouble to save a few bucks a month. I'd rather keep the car in tip top shape(tire pressure, air filter....) and try not to be lead foot.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Another possibility, he wants to go high sniffing gas fume while x-ferring gas? Maybe that's it, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Interesting. You may want to try Grainger.com. search for Gasoline transfer pump. Not cheap, but I have a feeling you already knew that.

good luck with your search.

jc

Reply to
Joe

Yes there is a fitting on the fuel rail. You need a special fitting to screw onto it to open the valve and get fuel out.

The fuel pump will NOT stay running constantly by just turning the key. It will turn on for a couple seconds and then shut off. You will be waiting about 30 minutes to transfer the gas. The pumps don't pump a lot of volume. It's a great way to burn out the pump.

Reply to
Steve W.

Easier way is for YOU to buy a couple 5 gallon gas cans. Take them with you and fill them up on the way home. Top up the wifes car as needed. Also gives you gas on hand if YOU run low.

Reply to
Steve W.