Suggestion to pump gasoline from one car to another in a garage

Page 1 of 4

Any suggestion on a good gasoline pump to move gas from one vehicle to another in a garage?
My wife always fills up at the most expensive stations while I get my gas at the least expensive I can find using Gas Buddy.
I'd like to weekly (or so) transfer about 15 gallons (or so) from my tank to hers in my garage (or just outside the garage).
Any suggestions for a good pump for gasoline?
William Brammer wrote:

One that automatically dials 911 when the temperature exceeds 1000 degrees.

you've piqued my curiosity about *why* you want to transfer (especially weekly). Wouldn't it be easier just to switch the station at which you fill up? (or to take her car to put some less expensive gas in it)
Seems like a lot of work to solve a non-existent problem.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:46:10 GMT, Joe wrote:

I switch stations all the time but my wife does not. I work near Costco which is only about $2.90 a gallon nowadays while the gas stations she goes to are $3.10 or so. We live very far (20- miles) from the nearest gas station. She would love it if the "gas tank just filled itself".
She grew up in the only state in the USA that has true self serve (where you stay in the car the whole time) and she hates those "cash only" stations that make you wait in line at the checkout twice just to fill up. So she goes to the expensive fill up stations which are more convenient and closer to where she shops.
Of course as you suggested, I could just go out at 6am or 11pm and simply take her car out for gas, it would be much less work to just fill up her car from a tank at home.
I considered buying a 500 gallon gasoline tank but then I learned that gas goes stale so that would only be useful for commercial establishments.
Anyway, there must be someone else with a similar problem that has found a workable solution.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:57:46 -0800, William Brammer

Seem the easiest option is to switch cars when she gets low, and fill hers up at the Costco. Of course one of you may find reason to reject that option. Which means it just ain't that important. Any gas transfer scheme is plain stupid, both from the cost and safety perspectives.
--Vic

Interesting. You may want to try Grainger.com. search for Gasoline transfer pump. Not cheap, but I have a feeling you already knew that.
good luck with your search.
jc

There are chemicals that you can add to the tank to prevent or greatly slow any degradation. And, you can fit it with a condensation trap to preclude moisture transfer. This plan could work if you have a place with enough land to keep the tank clear of the house.

So you're going to do all this to save 20 cents per gallon?
At 15 gallons per week, you're potentially saving...three dollars.
That's $12 per month.
Unless you're /really/ stuck for cash, is it even worth it?
--
Tegger

William Brammer wrote:

Yes, I have a simple solution. I don't fret about $3 a week. Frugality is smart, but there are times the stress would outweigh the savings. Look at the potential loss with a mishap, your time to do the swap and your time for the extra fill-up you have to do now instead of your wife. Find a better way to economize.
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:57:46 -0800, William Brammer

You are going to go thru all that trouble to save $200 a year?? You save $0.20 per gallon. If you swap 20 gallons a week that's $4 a week, X 52 weeks a year = $208. Seems dumb to me.
Joe wrote:

I wonder how much he saves doing that. Too cheap gas can cause trouble in cold winter. Hope he hs a fire extinguisher habdy while doing it. I fill my wife's car. We always fill up when tank goes half full in winter.
William Brammer wrote:

My advice is to learn to live with it or fill the wife's tank for her. Transferring gas in the grage is plain DUMB. My brother set the house on fire 50 years ago doing that. He was a kid and did not know any better.
Even at 10 a gallon difference, you'd save $1.50 a week. Worth the risk? Worth the time and trouble and expense of a pump? Find a reasonalbe priced station on her route and use it regularly.

My car I cant even get a siphon hose into, its a theft saftey device, probably one of your cars has it. It would still be best to get her to switch for other reasons.

Or why doesn't just have a peek at her gas gauge once in a while, and if it's getting low, go get the tank filled for her.
He will accomplish two, and possibly three, things that way: 1) Get cheaper gas in her car, 2) Look like a kind, caring and considerate husband, and 3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.
A win all around, I say.
--
Tegger

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:31:25 +0000 (UTC), Tegger wrote:

To make a 40-mile round trip "just" to fill up a gas tank doesn't seem viable.

:)
William Brammer wrote:

Just switch vehicles once a week. Or can't she drive your vehicle?

Well you never said that before.
How about getting her a prepaid gift card for the cheapie station?
--
Tegger

re: " 3) possibly get more sex on account of #2.
A win all around, I say."
Except perhaps for the wife. ;-)

If it's not, the husband is doing something wrong....

I agree with others - stupid idea.