Suggestion on shrinking a small rubber belt?

My vacuum cleaner has an attachment that has a small beater brush. The brush is driven by the airflow from the vacuum itself, turning a wheel that pulls a small rubber drive belt, that turns the beater brush.
The brush hasn't been turning lately, even after I disassembled the attachment and cleaned and lubed the friction points.
When I started analyzing things, it turns out that the belt has stretched out to the point of uselessness.
I'm sure that Sears would sell me a new attachment for $50. I'm sure that with a lot of homework, I could find a replacement belt, but I'm not really in the mood to do that homework.
So my quick and dirty cut at making this work is built around the hope that I can somehow shrink the belt. It's maybe six inches in circumference and fairly thin. Is there something I can soak it in, or heat it or cool it to reduce the size? I'm thinking that a quarter to half-inch reduction in circumference will more than adequately do the trick.

Is it a Hoover? That little beater brush is freaky, can't believe it spins so fast. I use it to vacuum my cat.

If it's a Hoover, it says the belt is part no. 38528037, $4.99 from their website.
nancy

Can you replace it with a big rubber band?
I doubt if you can shrink the belt, but could you build up epoxy or something on the wheels and make them bigger?
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:20:57 -0400, trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

Not going to happen, sorry.
You're kidding right? http://www3.sears.com/
--
Steve Barker

"trader-of-some-jacks" < snipped-for-privacy@dontspam.net> wrote in message
trader-of-some-jacks wrote:

You really should buy a new belt, they're cheep enough, but.....
Back in the 60s I supplemented my "real job" incvome by servicing reel to reel tape recorders at night.
Those monsters had rubber drive belts in them and I found I could "shrink" them by judiciously waving them through the flame of a Bernz-O-Matic torch or a gas stove burner, heating them to just below their "ignition temperature", and rotating the belt through the flame so all parts got "the treatment".
I know it sounds ludicrous, but what have you got to lose the belt isn't earning its keep the way it is now. Plus I'd get a reel boot out of hearing you tell us that tried my approach and it worked.
Good Luck,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

You remember the 60s AND worked ? ;-) -- Oren
Thanks. I needed the laugh.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.
Oren wrote:

... If you remembered the 60s, you weren't there.
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:20:57 -0400, trader-of-some-jacks

Try gasoline.

Try cold water. Works well on my scrotum.
You can cut it with a sharp razor blade, shorten it as needed, then glue it back together with crazy glue.
Sounds crazy, but in an earlier life, I repaired recorders, slide projectors, ect, and this was done when we didn't have the right size o-ring belt.
it works!

As I recall, there were kits sold to fabricate recorder belts from bulk belt material by cutting a piece and splicing with a type of Crazy Glue. I have successfully shortened salvaged recorder belts and spliced with Crazy Glue using this method to provide replacement belts. The cut should be made diagonally with a razor blade to get the largest bonding area possible . It does help to have spare material for practice. And this is applicable only to small belting without a fabric core.
Everything considered, I would buy a replacement belt unless you are just fascinated with the process.
SJF
Thanks to all who responded to my original post.
I did some simple digging, and yes, Sears.com has replacement parts - but only down to the level of the "thingamajig" (actually, it's called a "Handimate Jr.") that has the too-big belt.
The good news is that the Handimate Jr. costs only something like $25, which is half what I figured it would cost. But I still think that finding a 49 belt for it shouldn't be that much of an effort.
Any suggestions on an independent parts supplier where I might be able to find the belt? Again, this is a belt, maybe six inches in circumference, rubber, with teeth on the inside to drive the little plastic gear.

Try a good independent appliance or vacuum cleaner repair shop, or even one as Sears if you can find one. I can't imagine not selling a belt for repairs.
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:20:57 -0400, trader-of-some-jacks

Its a simple 'O' ring you can buy from an industrial valves shop. Try your luck at an automotives parts shop too.