Suggestion on New Washer

Page 1 of 2
Hello,
I thought I would post this here as most people would know what washers have the most problems. I'm looking to replace our horrible Maytag Atlantis Washer MAV7504EWW since it has torn through the majority of our clothes and leaves a lot of lint on them coming out of the wash. This washing machine was prior to the acquisition from Whirlpool
I was looking at the Whirlpool WTW5500 which seems that it may do the job, but after talking with a rep I'm not sure if this is the model that I want. I'm looking for a washer where the hot cycle will take exactly that hot water and not mix it with cold. The only model that Whirlpool has is the front loaders which have the sanitary cycle. I want to avoid front loaders as I have read problematic issues with them and want to avoid as may problems down the road as possible.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to purchase or should I stick with this model? The other option is to turn the cold water off for the first cycle but that means I have to be around after the first cycle is finished to turn the cold water on for the second cycle.
Thanks in advance, Nick
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

You should know that all new washers have to meet the same energy and water use requirements, which means that most new top loaders will do less well with cleaning than a front loader. Especially a top loader with a standard transmission...
I have a 6 month old GE front loader that will do either straight hot or add additional heating ("sanitary cycle") that I've been pleased with.
http://www.geappliances.com/products/introductions/frontload /

BALONEY
I have a Fisher & Paykel top loader that equals or exceeds the performance of front loaders, costs half as much and does not require special expensive detergent to work properly.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Glad you like your FP.
Unfortunately, the hard data collected by Consumer Reports and shown at
<http://www.greenerchoices.org/ratings.cfm?product=washer&orderbyw=OverallScore_DESC&ordersetw=ASC,ASC,DESC,DESC,ASC,DESC#Cat2
supports my statement. Note the 20th best front loader listed had a total score of 69, whereas the best top loader was 75. The only FP top load model listed had a score of 63.
Robert Neville wrote: ...

I notice mostly that all the top loaders that score much over the front loaders are roughly twice the price and that those in roughly equivalent price range are no better and generally worse in the cleaning rankings.

There's some basic physics going on here. Top loaders can't tumble clothing very well and the limited amount of water they can use is leading a lot of manufacturers to delete the agitator which makes things worse.

You are mistaking laws of physics for design.
Robert Neville wrote:

Not that that has anything to do w/ the observation that the vaunted front loaders of anything near equal price aren't any better than the toploaders...

You better go look again. The FP is listed as 74 points and $900, compared to the top rated frontloaders at 81 points and up to $1900.
That's only if you even trust Consumer reports, who once picked the stock factory am/fm cassette stereo in an AMC matador as the best car stereo. Better than Alpine, Kenwood... better than everybody! They also top rated a VCR, and bottom rated another one. Only problem was that they were mechanically IDENTICAL and came off of the same assembly line with two different brand names and slight cosmetic differences. he factory service manual for both machines was the same manual, as was the parts list. They liked some features on one and criticized the same features on the other.
Glad you like whatever you got suckered into buying.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

You're right, there is an FP model that sells for $900 rated at 74 points. Comparing that model to the most expensive front loader doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Especially as there's around three front load models that sell for similar prices and have better performance ratings.

You seem to have the emotional attachment to a particular washer design. I just pointed out that as a general rule, new front loaders will out perform top loaders at the same price point.
on 4/21/2008 12:29 PM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com said the following:

The top rated front loader at $1500 and 81 points is an LG 'steam' washer. The next best front loader is a regular LG without steam at 81 points and is $900. It also has better energy efficiency than the FP top loader.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Apr 21, 9:49am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Your first line of defense against crappy products is Consumer Reports. Have you checked it out yet?
Joe

I appreciate the links to Consumer Reports but I'm looking for the hot water feature in particular. If it is not available that is fine. I was surprised that a few GE top loading washers made the list. Some reviews from consumers have mentioned that there are issues with motors failing within the first 6 months of use.
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Install a nice 1/4 turn ball valve on your cold water line to the washer and when you want an "all hot water cycle" justy turn the cold line off.
If you look at sears.com on the reviews for the GE WJRE5500G (A CR best buy) you will see issues with the motor and transmission and a quite a few horrible reviews. I think CR tests just like any other magazine with new items but does not factor long term testing in their recommendations (should be at least a year of use). That is why CR's ratings are useless.
I can tell you any new car will be a good value but 5-10 years down the road a Ford Taurus won't be a reliable as a Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I noticed that as well!!
many people bought that unit and are pissed
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

First, the hot water from a water heater is not hot enough to kill germs anyway. But...
You could get a timer for the hot water supply. Set it for, oh, five minutes off, then on. Start the washer.
On Apr 21, 9:49am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

Nothing is made like it used to be, a commercial unit will get you some hopefully real quality

If you are after a washer that is gentle on clothes and you want to do hot water washes, I think you should have another look at front loaders. With a front loader you will save about 80litres of hot water every load.(anyone want to do the maths on heating 10C water to 70C in kWhrs?). The machine I have uses so little water it heats its own, with a temp range from cold to 90C.

Which make/model do you have? I have heard nothing but problems with front loaders. The issues I have seen had to do with water staying at the bottom after a wash cycle, musty odors, and circuit board errors. I am not worried at spending money to heat the water, we have our water heater set to a high hot water temp for our showers anyway.