Suggestion for 24V/120V relay to control new outlet?

24VAC or 24VDC?

For 24VAC what you want is a pump start relay that works with 24VAC sprinkler systems. Already complete in a box. Start here: "

". For a 24VDC coil, 10A contacts relay go to "
". You'll have to put it into an enclosure yourself.

Reply to
SMS

That would get you two violations here. Using a cable as support and using UF as a whip. You can tape the thermo cable to the (freon) line set but they still want a liquidtight raceway for the power.

Reply to
gfretwell

I pictured the plastic separator type in a building, not in the unit.

Reply to
Tony

OMG - a virtual red tag.

No sure I was clear on what I meant. When I was installing them long ago I used sealtite conduit for power. (Or Minneapolis allowed, and probably preferred back then, flex.)

I suggested tying class 2, in UF, to the sealtight - which is allowed (300.11-B-2).

I would rather keep the wiring away from the refer guys, but reading your post reminded me that I tied the UF to the insulated low pressure line - the hole the refer guys put into the house was too convenient.

I wouldn't want to run power and class 2 in the same raceway even if allowed.

====================== If I remember right, a couple people linked to your website for the drill rig explosion/fire. Nice piece.

Reply to
bud--

A "Class 2" xfmr is simply a double-insulated transformer without an earth ground on its plug, nor a polarized plug. A "Class 1" xfmr requires a third wire, the earth ground pin on its plug. The "Class of xfmr is a UL/CSA et al classification which approves the xfmr and nothing else as safety approved. Secondary ckts attached to the output of a xfmr are not subject to UL/CSA et al safety testing unless a voltage in it equals or is more than 42VDC or 42V ac p-p. The original spec, UL1459 (now superceded but not changed in this area) is online for those who wish to read it. I -think- the CSA spec was CS-03. Whatever class 1 & 2 means ckt-wise, I don't know; it's not a UL/CSA et al type spec but might be NEC, NFPA or otherwise.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

The primary characteristic of class 1, 2, and 3 power sources is that they are power limited. There is a specified maximum voltage, current and power you can get from the source. For a class 2 24V transformer the max current is 8A - the maximum current you get if you short circuit the transformer.

Because the power is limited, the downstream circuit does not have to meet the general wiring requirements of the NEC. Article 725 is used instead.

Reply to
bud--

I think you're confused between class definitions for Safety and what the NEC defines; they are different.

Class 1, 2, and 3 CIRCUITS are classified as remote-control, signaling, and power-limited circuits in the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Class 1 and 2 Power Supplies determines the insulation PROPERTIES of a power supply and there is no Class 3. To the layman, they either need the third ground wire or not (1 & 2 respectively).

The 8 Amp limitation IN NEC has nothing to do with UL/CSA et al classifications. A transformer can output any current it can be designed for as long as it meets the insulation and overvoltage/current test specifications and meet the safety requirements. Class 1, 2, 3 as used in the NEC as you can see above is quite different. While saftey is of course a concern, simply limiting an output to 8 amps would not deem it to be "safe". The NEC is concerned with wiring, and the Safety is concerned with safety. Two different worlds. A google for UL

1459 might be enlightening for you. You apparently already have some NEC information, or I'd assume so at least. You know NEC and I know Safety; perhaps between the two of us, we could purchse/outfit/install equipment for a home.

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

No. You're mixing up NEC/Safety agencies. UL and CSA and all like agencies only have classes 1 and 2, no class 3, and they deal with the safety aspects of a power transformer and its container, and must be so tested/listed in order to be sold legally anywhere in the US or Canada. You are trying to apply NEC wiring classses to the safety classes, incorrectly. The definitions are exactly as I stated.

NEC Class 1, 2, and 3 circuits are classified as remote-control, signaling, and power-limited circuits in the National Electrical Code (NEC). Transformers are NOT required to meet ANY of those requirements. The 8A is a wiring issue and part of the NEC, NOT part of safety. Look up UL 1459 and you'll see what I mean. A transformer/power supply does not HAVE to be power limited and in fact most are not, and if it's NOT power limited, that section does not apply. Most transformers are NOT power limited but per Safety agencies can never, under ANY load including locked rotors, solenoids, short ckts, etc., can never present a fire or safety hazard to anyone or anything. A class 1 OR class 2 24V transformer sold in North America is required to have UL or CSA or equivalent markings and submissions or be listed as a component. INSTALLATION of same is where NEC comes in, and may or may not apply; usually not. If it does not claim to be a class 3 installation device, then it's a moot point; other parts of the NEC will apply. HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

I think you're confused about nearly everything.

Limiting the discussion to class 2, which many people are familiar with (thermostat, doorbell):

Class 2 circuits are class 2 because they are _powered by a class 2 power supply_.

So if I buy a UL listed class 2 transformer, according to you, it is not power limited and can not be used to power a class 2 circuit. What a bizarre idea. Make that a stupid idea.

No class 3? UL category XOKV - "TRANSFORMERS, CLASS 2 AND CLASS 3".

That will surprise UL.

It might be a lot more enlightening for you.

UL 1459 is "Telephone power supplies" (and has probably been withdrawn). You are probably the only person that thinks we are talking about telephones.

Class 2 transformers are listed under UL 1585, "Class 2 and Class 3 Transformers." (There is that pesky "class 3" again.) They are power limited "in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ?National Electrical Code? (NEC)"

Some other standards may be applicable such as UL 1310, "Class 2 Power Units" which also comply "with Class 2 voltage, current and volt-ampere limits as specified in ANSI/NFPA 70, 'National Electrical Code'."

Note the reference to the power limits in the NEC.

Information is from the UL White Book.

Again you are posting nonsense.

Four months ago, in a thread about utility PF correction caps, you told HeyBub "next time I'll be a lot more careful." Obviously not. Again.

Reply to
bud--

You're right, I cited the wrong spec; it's probably actually something like one of the 5085's. But I'm not tempted to refute anything you say because you are still getting things terribly mixed up. Perhaps you should brush up on how to read these specs too. Like, parts 1 & 2 apply unless excepted by 3 and so forth. Sorry; I don't have the time to mess with your refusal to get the proper information assembled for the project at hand.

HTH,

Twayne`

n news:1a08$4bf22de6$cde8d5bc$ snipped-for-privacy@DIALUPUSA.NET, bud-- typed:

Reply to
Twayne

Translation: you are wrong but won't admit it.

At least you admitted when you were wrong about utility PF correction caps.

I have no problem reading specs.

Like - from UL: Class 2 transformers are listed under UL 1585, "Class 2 and Class 3 Transformers." They are power limited "in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ?National Electrical Code? (NEC)"

Repeating again - from UL: The transformers are power limited "in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, ?National Electrical Code? (NEC)"

Perhaps you should brush up on the English language.

Explain what makes a class 2 door bell circuit class 2.

Describe your "project at hand". I want to make sure I never get anywhere near it.

bud--

Reply to
bud--