Suggested power tools to buy for beginner

Page 2 of 2

Depending on the scale of your home improvements, I might start with a sawsall or similar reciprocating saw before either a circular or jigsaw. It will be more versitile, but will also require a little more effort and thought to keep it under control.
Don't buy anything until you need it. Then buy the best you can afford. You are not going to get good quality for everything on your list in your budget, but if you spread it out, you may be about to get some really good tools and then add to those over the years as projects require them. Sometimes it is far better to rent a really good tool than to buy a "homeowner's" special that will not perform properly.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 19:52:23 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Very good reasons to look at yard sales. I'm looking for an ole beater 5/8" drill. Don't need a new one, slightly abused is okay. -- Oren
I agree with Joseph. Don't buy any tools in anticipation of needing them down the road. Buy what's needed when you are ready to do a project. You can look around now to see the best prices and different brands and models and maybe keep a wish list. Tools can cost a pretty penny and are worth it to get a job done, but not to collect dust.

Besides all those good reasons, it's harder to fit them into the theoretical budget if your partner doesn't see them as being useful within a short time after the purchase. On the other hand, if you time things right, anything's possible.
If you're so rich that there *is* no budget, then never mind.
JimmyD wrote:

My advise is to buy one or two tools at a time as your projects actually require. Buy the best tools you can afford. I think the first tool anyone should buy would be a corded drill. The cordless ones are fun to use and popular however. the hammer feature is nice to have but only if you have a project which requires it.

A cirular saw is a must for sure. A jig saw is a close behind however. If you get a good one (bosch) then it will make many of the same cuts as a circular saw, believe it. My bosch has no problem plowing through 2 inch lumber. The circular saw is one of the more dangerous tool there is and many have lost fingers to that tool. the jigsaw is far less dangerous and though you can hurt yourself you are unlikely to lose any fingers to one.

Nailers are cool especially on big jobs. a lot of times a hammer will be good enough. A lot of folk use strictly screws which go along with the drill. If you need a nailer you will know it but beware of low cost units from the Despot. Nailers don't use a lot of air.

I don't own a compressor...yet. I eyed this one up (Porter Cable). The pancake itself seemed pretty good. I don't know anything about nailers but to me what they called brads and finish nails were just about the same. The gauge was a tad bigger on one vs the other, but not much.
As far as the crown stapler, it had a 1" max. That means you can't use it on any 3/4" wood.
Just my observations. Any additional feedback more than welcome.

I haven't read the other replies. Has anyone mentioned that is really depends on what you want them for?

That is an insane idea. :-)
Wow...quite the outpouring of knowledge. I didn't expect so many responses and I appreciate them all very much, so thank you. The projects I have upcoming are sheet rocking a framed room and putting up molding/baseboards. I guess I was thinking as long as I'm going to buy some tools for that, I should try and get a good set of power tools that are commonly used in home repair. Which is also why I was thinking the hammer drill. I figured as long as I was buying a drill, I might as well get one that has the hammer function as well. I'm also interested in trying some other projects like building a dog house (since my dog's not picky and if I do a crappy job he won't care) and building a wooden garbage can holder. So I was entering it with that train of thought. So after reading all the posts, I'm going to follow the majority of the advice and buy mainly what I'll need for what I have upcoming and go from there. That means the miter (for the crown molding) and a good drill. I think that should do it for now. I was pretty set on buying the nailers, so I'm glad I asked about them since most people think I should skip them, for now anyways. So that's $300 I can spend somewhere else. I'm a single guy and my girlfriend has a desire for me to be more "handy" so I have that going for me.
Thanks again.
Jim
Use a hammer and nails for the baseboard. Pre-drill first, and test hole size vs nails on a piece of scrap. It's pretty relaxing work, and a power nailer really won't save you much time, compared to all the measuring and cutting.

I would get a *good* cordless screwdriver, good cordless drill, and more powerful corded drill. It can be a hammer drill if you like, but the extra power comes in very handy when you run into a tough job. For example, mixing something like joint compound. An angle grinder can come in very handy for miscellaneous things, as can a reciprocating saw. A circular saw as well.