Sugar Ant problems

Page 2 of 2
NorMinn writes:

Capsicum is pretty harmless. The pain is without real injury.
Boric acid is poisonous, like sodium borate. 1 to 2 tsp lethal dose in children.
NorMinn wrote:

It was cinnamon, pepper, *OR* cayenne. We always use cinnamon. Makes the house smell nice, too.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

If you have some territory, put a compost/midden pile in the back (close to the neighbor you don't like). Then clean the house well. Ants are as lazy and easily led as us, and will find the easyer softer way to food. Take the garbage out nightly. Compost!
Get the kids to help. Get them some Venus Fly traps and pitcher plants for the house (HD carries them).
If you are in the right climate, western fence lizards (AKA 'blue bellies') are great ant eaters. They also seem to subvert Lyme Disease. Good pets too!
Poison is a poor excuse for bad hygene. (even the past owner's)
ns
clevere wrote:

Getting clean is primary. Wash insides of kitchen cupboards, including containers that may be sticky (syrup, etc). Vacuum floors, scrub kitchen floor. Clean up pet food droppings and keep pet food in sealed container. Peanut butter and jelly were always the culprits when my kids were small :o) Found a yellow jacket once in the jar of jelly the kids had left open. Ants were a springtime nuisance when they did come around. Used to use a liquid bait - forget the name but HD carries the same thing - that is boric acid and sugar. Place it under furniture or appliances where the kiddies and pets can't get to it. One time used to do it for the year. Best to place the bait in the ant's path and keep junior away from it for a day or two.
A one-year old can spread food around in mysterious places :o) Don't worry about what is crawling around under your slab - you don't need or want to kill everything in the yard. Even termites have a purpose. Try some boric acid along the front door entry - it will wash away in the rain, keep junior from eating it although it is relatively non-toxic to people, and put down newspaper when junior is in the high chair doing experiments with food. Mine used to like to squoosh spaghetti and rub it in her hair. Squooshed bananas, when dry, are harder than concrete.
clevere wrote:

You can dissuade them with cinnamon, black or cayenne pepper, or Tabasco sauce. That's all we use. But my dad used to spray ant poison all around the foundation of his house once a year and that took care of most of the problem.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa

I spray around the outside perimeter of the house. I just did mine on Saturday, and the ants are already reduced dramatically. I also use the baits in the house, but they don't work very well without the perimeter spray.
Pick