Sugar Ant problems

Page 1 of 2
Hey guys. Just recently moved into a place. We have sugar ants crawling all over the place. The garage, dinning area, kitchen, and living room. I realize they are attracted to food, drinks, etc, and since we've moved in, we've done our damnest to keep the place clean (with 3 kids, it isn't always easy). I've placed RAID Ant Traps II in the kitchen, dining area, and living room, as well as the garage.
When we firsted moved in, we noticed them by the front door, well the kids did, and as soon as I saw it, I went and get to bait traps. With a 1 year old, having these traps all over my place isn't the best, nor the safest idea. Is there anything else I can do that works well for these buggers? It seems they are crawling around under the cement slab this place is built upon. I'd prefer a method that is natural, but I'm game for chemicals as well. What are your thoughts?
clevere wrote:

I tried this and it seemed to work incredibly well (assuming there wasn't some other factor that I'm not aware of). Took about a dozen plastic caps (like Gatorade lids) and filled them with a mixture of Boraxo and sugar. Placed them in key places. Not only are the ants gone, they haven't come back (this was a year ago). Good luck.
Frank
Thanks frank. How much boraxo to sugar should I use?

all
in,
always
living
kids
year
It
clevere wrote:

I just eyeballed it to about 50/50. Got the suggestion here if I recall correctly.
F.H. wrote:

I've read that it has to be liquid, not granules, but it worked for you, apparently.
NorMinn wrote:

Senior moment. By all means add water to the mix. Sorry.
F.H. wrote:

NOOOOOO, not with a 1-year-old around! Boraxo is toxic!!!!!!
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Nooooo! Boraxo is non-toxic. From their web site:
"20 Mule Team Borax is non-toxic, but if ingested in large quantities, it has the potential to cause negative effects. If ingested in large quantities, contact a veterinarian immediately."
And: "The Dial Corporation cannot recommend Borax to kill ants or roaches. The EPA has not authorized 20 Mule Team as a pesticide."
JerryMouse writes:

Dangerous, stupid advice.
The substance "borax" (lowercase) is sodium tetraborate decahydrate. Lethal dose in children is as little as 1 tsp (see the _Merck Index_), causing severe vomiting, diarrhea, death. Highly effective on ants, if you can get them to eat it (mixing with sugar, etc).
I can't understand where dialcorp.com gets the non-toxic nonsense. Their Web page appears to be quite ignorant or deceptive of the facts. They "cannot recommend" it as a pesticide because it is not "EPA authorized" (although many widely-sold commercial pesticide products incorporate it), yet they can give you instructions on making toy "slime" for your kids out of it!
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Current household census: Two adults, one 13 year old grandchild, one cat, two dogs. No ants. Apparently only the ants were interested in my mixture. Cautionary suggestion regarding small children noted.
As a chemically sensitive person this offers a much better option than filling the air with perfumed poison.

Excuse me, but Boraxo is not 100% borax. It's got a lot of soap in it.
Dial's 20-Mule Team Borax is a different product.
Dave Mitton writes:

Your source for this information?
The MSDS sez 100 percent borax:
http://msds.pdc.cornell.edu/msds/siri/files/bpw/bpwxd.html

"Boraxo" is a trademark, not a specific product. It covers a variety of cleaning products, some containing powdered soap, others with added pumice, some with detergent, some with liquid soaps. All presumably containing borax.
snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.not says... :) "Boraxo" is a trademark, not a specific product. It covers a variety of :) cleaning products, some containing powdered soap, others with added pumice, :) some with detergent, some with liquid soaps. All presumably containing :) borax. :) :) The Boraxo hand soap LD50 is higher than that of borax meaning that it isn't 100% borax. The label of the specific Boraxo product will have the percentage of borax it contains.
but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

The other issue is that Borax isn't Boric Acid. :)
Jeff
JerryMouse wrote:

I sure would not consult a veterinarian for a 1-year-old child's medical problems.
The cinnamon/pepper/cayenne recommendation I got was from a public school janitor, where they are prohibited from using anything toxic because there are young children there. It works well for inside applications.
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply wrote:

Cayenne isn't on the list of things I'd want to inhale or get in my eyes. Boric acid is much safer, and with a toddler the boric acid bait can be put under/behind furnishings so the child cannot reach it. Heavy furniture can be placed temporarily so the bait is in the right spot but the baby cannot get it. Gotta be crafty to keep the little ones out of trouble.
Our exterminator used a sweet mix of boric acid and liquid contained in a small tent shaped container with small hole near the top for ants to enter. Very effective for interiors.

snipped-for-privacy@vcoms.net wrote:

Now that sounds like something brilliant. I wonder where you would find them?
--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:34:18 GMT, Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to

Your local hardware store. :)
Check the ingredients, find the ant bait that is for sweet eating ants and has 98% or better boric acid.
FWIW, I've used a trick I learned years ago. Take a teaspoon of peanut butter and a teaspoon of grape jelly. Mix each individually with a teaspoon of boric acid (most grocery stores and any drug store). Cut soda straws into 1/2" lengths, and jab one end into the peanut butter, the other into the jelly. Presto, instant baits for both sweet and grease eating ants. Corner of a counter top, inside a wall outlet, etc. Replace them a they get eaten, toss after a week or so and ants are gone. Pop one in your mouth and you get a poor tasting peanut butter and jelly snadwich, no harm done. Five bucks will get you enough baits to fill a few dozen homes.
Jeff