Suddenly my basement is very humid, why?

for the past couple of years I was able to get by with a fan running

24/7 and flipping on my dehumidifier for a couple of hours a day but this year with the same practice I've started to see the presence of a white mold on some leather shoes and some wooden products close to the floor. I decided I needed to run my dehumidifier longer and add another fan but what ever I do I still can't get my humidity under 60. My basement is about 600 sq/ft and I'm using a 45pt dehumifier. From everything I've read on the sizing chart it should be more than sufficient. What could have changed in my basement that is making it more humid? I'm in CT and this July has been the 6th rainiest on record, could that have something to do with it?
Reply to
Joe

sure could, also, how is the grading around your house? Downspouts carrying water away/downhill?

nate

Reply to
N8N

Yes, I have all my downspouts going down hill. I tried that test too where you tape a piece of plastic wrap to the wall to see if moisture is seeping in and after 48 hours it's dry on both sides.

Reply to
Joe

Many dehumidifiers are not really very well made. That could be the problem. Maybe the outside air is just a little more moist this year, it happens.

Reply to
jmeehan

Shut the windows, leave the dehumidifier on (it's automatic) Set it at

45 or 50% humidity. I hooked a hose on my collection tank to drain in the cellar sink so I don't have to keep emptying it. Sometimes I open the windows when I think it's dry outside but soon the cold well water supply pipe starts sweating and dripping so I close the windows again and turn on the dehumidifier. Next day, all is dry again.
Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Reply to
Ralph