Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall gangly plant

Page 5 of 5
On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 15:07:27 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Here's the last rattler, a few weeks ago, that was snuggled up against the house right at the door steps where the grandkids play ...

Note: For a larger picture, substitute "img" for 640.
On 6/27/2013 9:49 PM, Danny D. wrote:

uhh ...at your door steps?????? What are you? The snake whisperer?
Funny thing happened to me some years ago. I saw this tarantula running across my front porch. It was the real deal and huge. Silly me thought..."No one is going to believe me!" So I ran in the house and grabbed a mason jar to catch it so people would believe me, and when I got out there and took a look at that spider and then a look at my mason jar ... the spider was bigger than the mouth of the jar was, and I thought to myself .. "this isn't going to work". About that time, the tarantula decided it didn't want to play dead any more in the corner of my front porch and it took off running. It 'bout scared the @#!$# out of me when it did that, soooooooooooo... I let it go it's way, and I ran into the house thinking .. "you dummy! WHAT were YOU thinking???" I hate spiders and I was going to try to catch one THAT big?? <smile>
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Thu, 27 Jun 2013 22:20:19 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I've never caught a tarantula - but that story of the spider being bigger than the jar is interesting!
My penultimate black widow was huge - but - she turned out to be pregnant!

Danny D. wrote:

ugh ... my worst nightmare ... years ago when my kids were toddlers, a black widow decided to make it's nest right nest to our front porch steps. I was scared of it, but more protective of my kids, so I said my short condolences to the spider with the egg sac and prompted smashed it and its progeny with a big board!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:20:14 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Every mother would do the same to protect her kids.
My kids always knew to scream, and I'd come a' running, to take care of whatever it was that scared them, whether it be a rattler, gopher snake, black widow spider, daddy longlegs, or even a bee or horsefly!
Danny D. said:

(Our only family pet is a big, fat albino corn snake, Ms. Ruby.)
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 07:30:56 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

All dangerous critters get released into my ravine, which is filled with poison oak (which I had to tunnel through wrist-thick poison oak fines with a chain saw, just to get to).

The only one who goes down there is me; this picture shows why:

We call it the "ravine of death", since there are so many poisonous creatures and plants living and relocated there ...

Danny D. wrote:

That must be the ultimate place to take out your frustrations on! :D
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Fri, 28 Jun 2013 11:22:07 -0500, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Well, it's 500 yards of poison oak jungle! I'm the only one who ever goes there (I wonder why). It's very peaceful. The birds like me because I hacked out a trail,and they were right behind me, eating the bugs that I had to dig out of the steep hillside with my gas cultivator in tow.
Note: Using a cultivator on a steep hillside of poison oak was when I got the worst case yet. Something about chewing up poison oak vines in the tines got the stuff on me, no matter how hard I tried to dress for success.
Here you can see one of the "momma vines" which was about as big as they get in my ravine, where it's just oozing with enough urushiol sap to infect every human on earth!

Danny D. said:

As a kid, he spent much of one summer indoors due to an extreme reaction (that required medical intervention and injections). He can get a rash just walking by a patch. As the older sib I had to learn to identify poison ivy and point it out. All these years later, it's still automatic for me to ID poison ivy, oak, or sumac to anyone nearby. I am amazingly good at spotting it.
Oh, an good on you for relocating rather than eliminating the snakes and such. Though I don't think I'd be as kind to the black widows. I only rescue jumping spiders. I sometimes rescue the crab spiders that come in on flowers. The rest get squished.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 07:47:19 -0400, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

I understand what you mean, as I am always identifying it for the grandkids, who wander by oblivious to all harm.
Nobody is immune to cell-mediated immune responses (since the T-Cell are randomly generated and passed by the Thymus), but some people just haven't (randomly) gotten it yet. Or, they haven't gotten enough of a dose that their T-Cells wandered by a urushiol quinone which has bound to a receptor site on a Langerhans cell in their skin.
NOTE: Contact dermatitis is NOT mediated by humoral antigen/antibody responses, so, all the conventional wisdom of "being immune" goes out the door.
In the case of the amount of sap in that picture, almost nobody on earth would not respond to that amount, were it to touch skin (keeping in mind, the urushiol oil is known to stay active over 100 years in dendrology drawers) and probably 10 years in my relatively dry climate.
Danny D. said:

to rub a leaf on my skin, or when I've pulled seedlings out bare-handed. My dad's side of the family, very vigorous reactors. My mother never has, if I recall correctly.
Which is sort of odd, as both my mother and I have had serious reactions to other chemicals and adhesives. I've had at least one quite serious case of photoallergic dermatitis which required (unpleasant) steroid therapy and I have to carefully read labels to avoid certain preservatives and also avoid sun-screens other than zinc oxide. I mainly rely on sun protective clothing and hats, which means long sleeves and long pants no matter how hot it is. (Coolibar makes some clever items, but it's still easy to overheat.)

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."
In article

I'm the same with poison oak, but my understanding is that this can change without notice.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
On 6/27/2013 12:27 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Cool, macro-photography. My cheap Vivitar digital camera had a Macro setting. ^_^
TDD
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 02:01:03 +0000, Kay Lancaster wrote:

Thanks for that information.
Here's a picture of the underside of the wild mustard flower:

Is the green arrow pointing to a (football-shaped) sepal?

Looks more like a petal that hasn't completely colored up yet. But that's really hard to tell in a photo.
If you look at sepals and petals on almost all flowers, you'll find that each series of flower parts are in whorls -- multiple parts all coming out at the same level. So the lowest series is the sepals. Let's say in an opened out mustard flower, they're laid out like a + sign. The next whorl is petals, and if the sepals are laid out like a + sign, the petals will be an X. Then there will be 4 stamens, laid out like a + and two more like two arms of the X, and finally in the middle, the two chambers of the ovary, the two carpels joined together to form a single fruit.
http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20p?img=I_MWS95452&res=mx is a pretty good view of the flower of a different species of mustard from the side... in this case, both the sepals and petals are yellow, but different shapes, and you can also see the four long stamens and two shorter ones most of the mustards have.
http://www.plantbiology.siu.edu/PLB304/Lecture09FloralMor/images/FlowerGeneral.jpg and
http://www.tsflowers.com/lilyphotos/Lily_Stargazer2.jpg is a lily flower straight on, and you can see the different shapes of the sepals, the narrower "petals" and the wider petals. Unfortunately, it's not a good photo of the stamens or ovary, but I'll take what I can get here. <g>
And yes, I can rattle on for hours about flower parts and how to interpret what you're seeing... it's one of the major tools for plant identification, once you get beyond pure recognition of different species.
Kay
hello world

You need goats, lots of goats.
--