Sudden infestation with this yellow flowered low-leaved tall gangly plant

Page 1 of 5
Anyone ever had an infestation of acres of these yellow plants?

They seem to be taking over my otherwise barren dry hillsides:

The plant has a strange-looking stalk:

And very low-lying leaves:

The climate is San Francisco bay area, very dry, poor Franciscan sediment soil, and lots and lots and lots of sunlight.
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:17:35 PM UTC-6, Danny D. wrote:

Could be Dalmatian Toadflax.
On 6/23/13 1:17 PM, Danny D. wrote:

It looks like mustard to me. Wild mustard is found extensively in California, turning the hills near my house bright yellow in the spring.
--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see
On 6/23/2013 6:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

You better watch out for deranged wild ketchup plants too! o_O
TDD

http://tigerboi90.deviantart.com/art/Wild-Ketchup-Spotted-92913372
On 6/23/2013 6:01 PM, David E. Ross wrote: ...

Not at all like what we know of as wild mustard, anyways...

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=-tqwujhUBZg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-tqwujhUBZg

And on my mobile device the link you posted returns a message that says "The content owner has not made this video available on mobile"
I guess we're pretty much even. ;-)
Oren wrote:

I'm pretty sure that plant isn't poke salad.
Have you ever eaten it cooked? My grandma used to cook it for us all the time and taught me how. You pull the leaves off the plant .. medium to smaller leaves are more tender, and then you boil them like you would spinach leaves 'til they are tender. After that you drain the boiled leaves and squeeze all the water out of the leaves you can get to come out of them. Next you add some oil to a frying pan, and break up the boiled leaves into the hot grease. Break 2 or 3 fresh eggs over the poke in the hot grease and stir fry the eggs with the poke. Add a bit of salt to taste while it's cooking. MMMMMMMmmm!!
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 12:45:06 -0700, Oren wrote:

I couldn't find any seeds ... but I ate a dozen of the florets (flower petals and all), which tasted surprisingly much like broccoli ...

If I never post ever again, please report *this* to the police!

On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 18:41:49 -0700, Oren wrote:

Oh oh .... mustard weeds may be protected ... oh my God!
BTW, I hope I'm allowed to "take" *this* California animal I just caught in the house moments ago, while reaching for a level to hang a mirror for the wife:

I need better spider-catching tools than this plastic container:
Now she is destined for transportation into my ravine, along with all the other spiders, snakes, and mustard-gas flowers:

I got one of these years ago:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/garden/page.aspx?pD895
I just used it again a few days ago. I generally close the bottom part manually, slowly, so as not to squish the spider as would probably happen if I let gravity close it.
Patty
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 04:32:22 +0000, Patty Winter wrote:

That thing is ingenious!
On 6/24/2013 11:32 PM, Patty Winter wrote:

Cool, you can release the innocent little spider outdoors away from your house or take it at least a mile away so it can't find its way back to your home. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 05:17:50 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

The only problem I've had with the glass jars is that the last big fat (or so I had thought) black widow spider suddenly had babies! Hundreds of 'em.
Next time, I'm not keeping her in the jar for more than a day or two before I relocate her.

On 6/25/2013 3:53 PM, Danny D. wrote:

You could always let her run for Congress. ^_^
TDD
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 16:39:00 -0500, The Daring Dufas wrote:

Couldn't be too much worse than Pelosi or Boxer!
:)
On 6/25/2013 11:21 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Sorry, I couldn't help it. ^_^
TDD
On 6/25/2013 1:53 PM, Danny D. wrote:

right now, i have a 2" scorpion in a jar on my office desk. creeps a lot of people out, though that keeps the traffic into my office down.
On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:11:03 -0700, chaniarts wrote:

I just shipped this lovely lady to you, via USPS Express Mail:

What I really need is a square-sided large thin-walled glass jar to take better pictures of my captures...