suction off air compressor

I have a PORTER-CABLE 0.8 HP 6-Gallon 150 PSI Electric Air Compressor. I want to create suction to pull air out of a line going to a swimming pool. I am trying to seal a plastic pipe with glue and want to suck some glue into the gaps around the join. How do I do this? BTW, will I damage the air compressor if I get water inside.

Reply to
Deodiaus

the gaps around the join.

Fix the gaps around the joint. Plastic pipe is made to be joined without vacuum.

Think about what you're trying to do. If your vacuum is perfect, you can get ~15PSI differential pressure. Now, take the cross sectional area of the gap you're trying to fill. Note that the actual force applied is miniscule. One of two things will happen.

1)The force is insufficient to move the glue and nothing happens. 2)The force is sufficient to move the glue and sucks it all out leaving a hole. I wouldn't count on that perfect storm of pressure, hole profile and glue viscosity.

Every air compressor has water inside. It condenses out of the air. But if you suck in too much at once, depending on the pump design, you can bust it instantly...or not... Chlorine doesn't help. I wouldn't do it.

Reply to
mike

nto the gaps around the join.

It would seem it should be obvious how to do it if it was possible. There would have to be some type of "inlet" fitting on the compressor that you could connect to. I've never seen such a thing.

For what you're trying to do, most people use a shop vac. The hose size usually will fit the 2" waste outlet which is typically on the filtering system.

As for possibly damaging the compressor, yes I would think that's a definite risk too.

Reply to
trader4

the gaps around the join.

Would a shopvac work instead?

Reply to
recyclebinned

into the gaps around the join.

The only problem with all of the above is that using a vacuum to draw glue into a PVC fitting like he's doing is a common thing, especially in the pool world. And it works.

Consider that water will come out of a pin hole leak in a pipe under little pressure. So there is no reason to think that PVC glue won't work it's way into the hole under vacuum as well. And all you need is a tiny bit, probably less than a single drop, to fix a pin hole leak in the pool lines.

Reply to
trader4

the gaps around the join.

OK, it's hard to argue with success.

Reply to
mike

Try a shop vac.

Reply to
NotMe

the gaps around the join.

You would need to connect to the intake muffler of the compressor - and if you get water in you will definitely stand a good chance of damaging the compressor. Use the shop vac instead. Or even your household vac cleaner.

Reply to
clare

the gaps around the join.

Pr the outside air pressure will cause enough glue to be forced into the crack to do the job. It HAS been done successfully before.

No, the compressor does NOT have water inside. The air reciever does. Water in the compressor head is NOT a good idea.

Reply to
clare

Yes you can with an attachment. Here's one from HF, less than $16.00. Get yours today.

HeyBub

You're saying that you never had to drain the water out of your tank?

Agreed, but there's not much you can do to keep it out. Water is everywhere.

Reply to
mike

On 8/19/2012 1:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: Use the shop vac instead. Or even your

This is a BAD idea. Any vacuum not specifically designed to suck wet stuff will likely pass the air right over the motor. Water in a motor is a bad idea.

Reply to
mike

There is no real differance in the simple air compressors and vacuum pumps. The air that comes out of the compressor has to come from somewhere. It does not just make the air that comes out of it. The same for the vacuum pump. When it sucks out the air, the air has to go somewhere.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Air has water vapor in it. When the air is compressed it can not hold the water. That water will condense when the air expands and cools off and go in the storage tank.

If you are using a piston type pump and it sucks in water such as from the swimming pool, the liquid may cause the valves to break as the liquid water will not compress. Probably will not as only one of the valves are open at one time and the water in the clyinder can go out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

However, many (if not most) "shop vacs" ARE specifically made to suck not only wet stuff but straight water. They do not pass intake air over the motor like many household vacuums do. (The first 50 or so shop vacs on HD's web site all say "Wet/Dry".)

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Use a venturi attachment, as HeyBub suggests. I use one in my business, to vacuum pot guitar pickups, and transformers. They're dirt cheap and work very well. Just say "nay" to the naysayers who claim you can't use compressed air to create a vacuum. It's standard operating procedure.

Reply to
Smitty Two

Tank yes - that is the "air reciever" the compressor is the pump.

Reply to
clare

He said he's sucking the AIR out of the pipe.

Yes, he was also worried about water. But you can use the cacuum into a pail, and from the pail to the pipe - pail acts as water trap for safety.

Reply to
clare

wet stuff but straight water. They do not pass intake air over the motor like many household vacuums do. (The first 50 or so shop vacs on HD's web site all say "Wet/Dry".)

So, you're agreeing!

Reply to
mike

the gaps around the join.

I would think that it would work better--- It will suck by nature, will move a whole lot more volume of air at a lower psi which is what the op is trying to do.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht