Subzero vs. GE Monogram Freezers and refrigerators

Any opinion on which would last longer and do a better job? We looked at two homes: one had a freestanding Subzero freezer and beside it a separate Subzero refrigerator. The other had the same thing, but GE Monogram. Both had an icemaker in the freezer, but both just dumped ice into a drawer. Why not an in-door ice dispenser like in our plain Jane GE refrigerator side by side? Do the two premium brands last longer, do a better job, are more energy efficient or . . . "why" are they considered to be a premium item?

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

My sister has a Subzero. Seems like a piece of junk to me. She's had to have major compressor repairs done on it twice in 20 years and the ice maker fixed at least once. I've had plain ole Whirlpools that never hiccupped in 20 years of service. The "premium" brands don't put ice makers in the doors because it's considered "low class".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Both are seriously expensive. The GE takes a circuit board, that's been a big problem. They havn't yet been able to make the circuit boards last very long. I repair fridges, and I've had several customers with bad boards.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My whirlpool clothes washing machine was here when I moved in. In

1994. They left it cause it was broken (they took the dryer). I oiled the motor, and it ran for 6 or 7 years. And then I had to oil the timer. Couple years later, oil the solenoids that control the progress from wash to spin to whatever. Still works. I dry clothes indoors on a clothes line.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Give your local library some business and go there to read Consumer Reports. Always a good place to begin research on a new product. What you get here is a few personal experiences, but the data depth in CR is far more comprehensive. Neither one needs to be exclusive, however. Sometimes a personal experience can reveal a flaw that might be important to you, but not part of the professional evaluation. Good luck in your search.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

From what I've read the fancier fridges tend to break down more.

But is your decision on which house to buy really based on an easily- replaced appliance?

Oh, possible reasons for not including in-door ice-- energy efficiency and appearance.

(copyright 2010 by Shaun Eli)

Reply to
Shaun Eli

Thanks to all for the comments. Our decision on which house to buy involves accessibility for a person with mobility problems, primarily, followed by a laundry list of increasingly minor things. The brand of appliances or type is pretty far down the list. . . consistent with your observation.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonnymus

Give your local library some business and go there to read Consumer Reports. Always a good place to begin research on a new product. What you get here is a few personal experiences, but the data depth in CR is far more comprehensive. Neither one needs to be exclusive, however. Sometimes a personal experience can reveal a flaw that might be important to you, but not part of the professional evaluation. Good luck in your search.

Joe

I used to get Consumer Reports until I realized a shortcoming.

They tell you what it is like when you buy it, but they have no real handle on future reliability. They can give you the past data. You know the catchall escape "Past data does not predict future results" The stuff they said hacd a great history for the past decade. I am more concerned withthe next decade.

Charlie (once bitten, twice shy)

Reply to
Charlie