Substitute for Mica Wave Guide Cover?

I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas stove with a bewildered look in their eyes.

Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off the old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape over the hole and use it for a few days?

Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

How about this?

Don't ask me why, but I have an old waveguide cover from the same unit. Can I cut out a piece and glue it over the hole in the other one? Would regular Elmers whie glue work?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

OK, so scratch the patch and Elmer's glue idea. I tried it and heated up a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. The patch got warm...cooled off really quick, but it was definitely warm while the rest of the waveguide was cool.

I'm back to looking for a substitute.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

a piece of glass or clear plastic. both are transparent to MW eneergy. I guess mica was chosen as a low-cost durable,opaque MW window,and food spatter would clean off it easily.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@z9g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Thanks.

I read one website that said that mica helped scatter the MW, which is desirable for more even cooking, but I read another that said it ain't so. In any case, I'm looking at a short term fix.

Now I need a way to get the plastic (plexiglass) to stay in the holder

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

couple of small spots of superglue?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

innews: snipped-for-privacy@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

Thanks...All set. Found some thin, stiff plastic in the shop. Thin enough to fit in the original holder. Should last a couple of days until the mica comes in.

Thanks again.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

replying to DerbyDad03, Imaginashawn wrote: Glad it's stiff plastic. I know they make flexible plastic by adding a chemical that's harmful to people. It can cause thyroid problems including cancer.

Reply to
Imaginashawn

Nope. No aliens. He's still around.

Reply to
krw

Mica is a sort of raw glass, the same thing as if you'd slice the glass into thin pieces and then press them together. So by it's properties is the same silica as the glass. Just get the 3M picture hanging strips from any homedepot and stick a piece of glass or any plastic instead of the darn mica plate and use this fix forever. Detach it to wash it. Clear plastic is safer because it can only melt when heats up to much from prolonged cooking,. but glass can break and burst into pieces and you might not want this in the place where you prepare your food.

Reply to
Shonza

A lot simpler to just buy the wave-guide cover in sheet form and cut it to fit with a scissors.. Make a spare while you are at it for in case you ever need a replacement down the road, put it in an envelope and tape it to the inside of the microwave oven case.

Reply to
Clare Snyder