Substitute for Mica Wave Guide Cover?

I've order a sheet of mica to make a new waveguide cover for my microwave. In the meantime, the kids keep staring at the gas stove with a bewildered look in their eyes.
Do I have anything lying around the house that can serve as a temporary waveguide cover? I tried scraping the carbon spot off the old one, but I put hole right through it. Can I put tape over the hole and use it for a few days?
Follow-up question: Why are waveguide covers made of mica?

How about this?
Don't ask me why, but I have an old waveguide cover from the same unit. Can I cut out a piece and glue it over the hole in the other one? Would regular Elmers whie glue work?

OK, so scratch the patch and Elmer's glue idea. I tried it and heated up a cup of coffee for 30 seconds. The patch got warm...cooled off really quick, but it was definitely warm while the rest of the waveguide was cool.
I'm back to looking for a substitute.

a piece of glass or clear plastic. both are transparent to MW eneergy. I guess mica was chosen as a low-cost durable,opaque MW window,and food spatter would clean off it easily.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks.
I read one website that said that mica helped scatter the MW, which is desirable for more even cooking, but I read another that said it ain't so. In any case, I'm looking at a short term fix.
Now I need a way to get the plastic (plexiglass) to stay in the holder

couple of small spots of superglue?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks...All set. Found some thin, stiff plastic in the shop. Thin enough to fit in the original holder. Should last a couple of days until the mica comes in.
Thanks again.