subpanel location and spacing requirements

I want to install an electrical subpanel in a 2nd floor room, but am a bit confused as to the location requirements. I would ideally like to place the panel behind a door (e.g. a door opens into the room and when open would be in front of the best panel location). This would put it about 1.5' from that door when closed, with many feet of space in front and to the left.
Also, is there a minimum height requirement? I would seek to put it around eye level, but there are some roof joists tied into the wall studs at about 4.5 or 5' and I think I'll have to go lower. Any reason I can't have the top of my panel at about 4' (other than it's a bit unusual)?
snipped-for-privacy@pookmail.com wrote:

There are maximum height requirements meant to insure that an average person can reach the highest breaker without requiring a chair or ladder to stand on. I don't believe there is any minimum height requirement, though I would certainly try to keep the lowest device above 18". The door should not be an issue either since clearance requirements are concerned with space in front of the panel, and an item like a door that can be moved out of the way isn't counted anyway.
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:43:56 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@pookmail.com wrote:

The door is OK but you need 6' 6" "headroom" in front of the panel. 110.26(E)