subpanel install

I need some help with choosing the right gauge wire, I am adding a subpanel that will be 85 feet away from the main(200a) in my garage with a basic 125 panel and the most I would use now would be 75 amps(at once) and all I can find are 60 or 100 amp breakers, so I want to go with the 100 incase I ever need it in the future. So the question is will 2ga x3 and one 4ga be enough? and also for determaning the gauge I saw in a chart that ambiant temp also effect it and in my attic in az is about 160f. thanks justin
--
dartcc

Greetings,
If you use a 100 amp breaker you should use wire as if you had a 100 amp load at the other end even if you expect to only use 75 amps "for now". 2 AWG Al will NOT be enough for 100A with an 85 ft run at 160f without having to worry about voltage drop. 2 AWG Cu would be.
Hope this helps, William

Just wondering... for 60 amp service at 80feet, what guage wire should be used? I assume that to feed 60amps to my garage so I could use 220volts I'd really be supplying two 30 amp circuits (and would an Edison circuit work)?

That would be a 30a service; and sure, an Edison circuit would be fine. There is no functional difference between that and a 240v circuit.
Maybe if you shared what you wanted to do, people could give you better advice.

I want to put a small, one man shop into my garage... Drill press, table saw, small welder, etc. and I haven't run the power out to the garage yet. I figure that 60amps is more than sufficient for my needs. Just trying to figure out what is best.
I doubt that the Edison circuit would get me much, but it could cut down the gauge of wire needed.
Noozer wrote:
> [...]
If you only need sixty amps at 120 volts then a thirty ampere 240/120 volt feeder will supply it if the load is completely balanced. If you need sixty amperes at 240 volts you will have to run a 240 volt sixty ampere feeder.
--
Tom Horne

I want to put a small, one man shop into my garage... Drill press, table saw, small welder, etc. and I haven't run the power out to the garage yet. I figure that 60amps is more than sufficient for my needs. Just trying to figure out what is best.
I doubt that the Edison circuit would get me much, but it could cut down the gauge of wire needed, and would provide a 240v, 30amp circuit should I ever need one.