Subpanel box wiring

I guess this is the acorn connector mentioned earlier?

I saw some of these at Home Depot, but didn't realize that is what I needed. I can swap that out when I do the ground on the light fixture.

John

Reply to
ibidibi411

NOT what the NEC says. but you the boss.

suit yourself

Steve Barker DLT

Those are the ones normally used on ground rods. They are approved for direct burial.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Steve, you are confusing THE grounding electrode conductor which goes to "any convenient electrode" unspliced.

250.26(F) To Electrode(s). A grounding electrode conductor shall be permitted to be run to any convenient grounding electrode available in the grounding electrode system or to one or more grounding electrode(s) individually. The grounding electrode conductor shall be sized for the largest grounding electrode conductor required among all the electrodes connected to it.

Subsequent "bonding jumpers" between supplemental electrodes and be made up with any listed connecting device as long as it remains accessible.

250.68 Grounding Electrode Conductor and Bonding Jumper Connection to Grounding Electrodes. (A) Accessibility. The connection of a grounding electrode conductor or bonding jumper to a grounding electrode shall be accessible. . Look at the picture again. That is from the NEC handbook
Reply to
gfretwell

That's not actually true, as gfretwell posted. The "wire" only needs to be continuous to the first electrode.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Actually, a ground rod can be only 1/2" in diameter, as long as it is listed (by an NRTL, such as UL). So the OP should check the rod for a listing mark.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

I stand corrected-- Home Depot does have 5/8" and 1/2" 8' grounding rods. I checked when I picked up my acorn clamp. Didn't read about the UL listing or I would have checked when I was there. All the markings on the one I have are underground now.

John

Reply to
ibidibi411

To be thorough, you can check another sample from Home Depot to see if it has the listing mark.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Not according to the nec.

Steve Barker DLT

Not according to the nec

Steve Barker DLT

look at 250.64(C) and get back with me.

Steve Barker DLT

I found an interesting article on it here:

If you skip to the section on splicing I think it addresses the topic at hand. I might be way out in left field, too, I don't know. This is all very new to me.

John

Reply to
ibidibi411

Cite that

Reply to
gfretwell

OK I'm back. The GEC is the conductor to the first "convenient" electrode. The rest are bonding jumpers. I already gave you the cites

Reply to
gfretwell

OK then. it sounds like an area for easy misinterpretation.

Steve Barker DLT

No sweat. I would not be surprised if lots of inspectors are confused. I did get my interpretation from IAEI seminars. They are usually worth the money if you get a chance to go to one. Jim Pauley is the gold standard. He puts on the best show.

Reply to
gfretwell

Well, I am pleased to report that I have passed my rough-in inspection!!

Thanks to everyone that has helped... You've been a great resource. Now its on to putting up the OSB and the final inspection!

John

Reply to
ibidibi411

I bet you were disappointed that he didn't look at any of the stuff you were worried about ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

Even more good news on my inspections-- I passed the final inspection the other day and got my CoO today!

The person that answered the phone at the inspections department was curious as to why I would want a CoO for a shed, so I explained that it was in case I needed to prove that it was up to code for an insurance claim or if I sold the home.

The inspector for the final complimented my subpanel and seemed quite impressed with the work.

I've put up some new photos of the nearly completed project:

The only major piece remaining is that I plan to build a workbench along the back wall. I left a gap in the baseboards for the bench. Thanks again for all the advice!

John

Reply to
ibidibi411

Wow. Kind of fancified for a shed. you gonna live out there or what?

nice job.

Steve Barker DLT