Subpanel box wiring

Page 3 of 4

Well, I am pleased to report that I have passed my rough-in inspection!!
Thanks to everyone that has helped... You've been a great resource. Now its on to putting up the OSB and the final inspection!
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 12:00:45 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I bet you were disappointed that he didn't look at any of the stuff you were worried about ;-)
Add pictures here
✖
Even more good news on my inspections-- I passed the final inspection the other day and got my CoO today!
The person that answered the phone at the inspections department was curious as to why I would want a CoO for a shed, so I explained that it was in case I needed to prove that it was up to code for an insurance claim or if I sold the home.
The inspector for the final complimented my subpanel and seemed quite impressed with the work.
I've put up some new photos of the nearly completed project:
http://tinyurl.com/6xqrxb
The only major piece remaining is that I plan to build a workbench along the back wall. I left a gap in the baseboards for the bench. Thanks again for all the advice!
John
Add pictures here
✖
Wow. Kind of fancified for a shed. you gonna live out there or what?
nice job.

✖
On Sep 5, 5:57 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

Hey thanks Steve! I may have to live in there if I keep working on it like this... My wife might exile me to it.
Seriously, I plan to build guitars in it. I've got a workbench built and have various saws and drills and such mounted on stands now. I've also thought about putting in a futon, dorm fridge, microwave, big screen TV... Run cable from the house... :)
John
Add pictures here
✖

Ok, so if I were to install two and the first is 8', how long would the second rod need to be to meet code? Just any combination that adds up to over ten feet? I have a ton of rocks, so driving these things into the ground is a real pain.
Thanks for that tip on the wire, Steve B.
John
Add pictures here
✖
the same 8' x 5/8" rod is required. be advised, 1/2" rods will not pass if you're subject to inspection. Also, when using multiple rods, they need to be at least SIX feet apart.
Ok, so if I were to install two and the first is 8', how long would the second rod need to be to meet code? Just any combination that adds up to over ten feet? I have a ton of rocks, so driving these things into the ground is a real pain.
Thanks for that tip on the wire, Steve B.
John
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 4, 2:53 pm, "Steve Barker DLT"

OUCH, that hurts! I'm not sure what the rod diameter is in there now. It was the only size rod that Home Depot carried, so I guess I am outta luck if it is 1/2" diameter. I read on a site that quotes NEC (not sure which revision) that said the minimum diameter was 1/2", but it didn't talk about two electrodes at all.
John
Add pictures here
✖

I just measured the rod I have in the ground and it is 1/2" diameter. I am about 99.9% sure that is the only diameter they carry at H. Depot. I guess I'll need to call the inspector about it to see what the local code calls for.
John
Add pictures here
✖

I just measured the rod I have in the ground and it is 1/2" diameter. I am about 99.9% sure that is the only diameter they carry at H. Depot. I guess I'll need to call the inspector about it to see what the local code calls for.
I just looked at the photo of your ground rod again. The rod size appears to be correct. Wait until the inspector sees it before you make any changes. If you were to add a second rod the wire needs to be continuous from the circuit breaker box through the first rod and ending at the second rod. Code calls for the second rod to be at least six feet away from the first, but sixteen feet or more is optimal.
Add pictures here
✖

LOL, ok 16' would be in my neighbor's bathroom! Just kidding. It would be in some heavy woods, though. I'll just get the shed cleaned up for the inspection and see what they say and report back.
Thanks!
John
Add pictures here
✖
I guess this is the acorn connector mentioned earlier?
http://tinyurl.com/62tvmx
I saw some of these at Home Depot, but didn't realize that is what I needed. I can swap that out when I do the ground on the light fixture.
John
Add pictures here
✖

Those are the ones normally used on ground rods. They are approved for direct burial.
Add pictures here
✖

That's not actually true, as gfretwell posted. The "wire" only needs to be continuous to the first electrode.
Cheers, Wayne
Add pictures here
✖
Not according to the nec.

✖
On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 23:01:31 -0500, "Steve Barker DLT"

Cite that
Add pictures here
✖

Actually, a ground rod can be only 1/2" in diameter, as long as it is listed (by an NRTL, such as UL). So the OP should check the rod for a listing mark.
Cheers, Wayne
Add pictures here
✖

I stand corrected-- Home Depot does have 5/8" and 1/2" 8' grounding rods. I checked when I picked up my acorn clamp. Didn't read about the UL listing or I would have checked when I was there. All the markings on the one I have are underground now.
John
Add pictures here
✖

To be thorough, you can check another sample from Home Depot to see if it has the listing mark.
Cheers, Wayne
Add pictures here
✖
Not according to the nec