submersible pump problem

over the past few weeks I have woken up to find that my pump is not working. I then go to my electrical panel, turn off the breaker for the pump for a minute or two, and then turn it back on. I can then hear the pump kick in and my water pressure returns. I wonder if anyone has any ideas what might be causing it to do this?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
cjkeenan

oh and one more thing. Each time i noticed that my toilet tank was empty. Someone had used the bathroom in the middle of the night each time this has happened i'm guessing.

Reply to
cjkeenan

well as far as i know nothing else is running at night. It has not done it in the daytime that I know of. Another point about the flush though, somes the flapper will not close poroperly causing it to run if you don't do the old jiggle the handle trick. Also the pump is only 6 years old, the sameage as the house.

Reply to
cjkeenan

OK. Do you have adequate flow and pressure during daytime use, while showering, etc?.

Yes

I gather from your post the breaker is NOT tripped at night, you just switch it off for a few minutes then turn it back on. Is that correct?

Yes

Under normal circumstances would the pump would be off for an extended period during the evening, maybe 11 PM to 3 AM or so?

Yes

Reply to
cjkeenan

duane, yes I do have a pressure tank

Reply to
cjkeenan

Does that happen during the day if there is a prolonged period of time when no one uses water?

Are you running an appliance at night that doesn't get used during the day? Is it one with a heavy current draw?

I'm just wondering if it's a pump problem or the combo of the pump and something else that is popping the breaker? Since the pump is only on for short periods of time, if something else were only on for short periods of time, it might take awhile for them to need current at the same time, which might be popping the breaker. But, unless it also happens during the day, something's fishy elsewhere or there's an appliance that's only used at night so that when the pump comes on it pops the breaker.

Post back with more information and maybe we can help more.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

How old is the pump? Probably it needs to be cleaned. Mine did this when it was on its death bed.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Despite the 6-year old only, that's what it sounds like to me, too. Do you have a pressure tank or is it direct charge system? Sounds like the toilet may be running and over a period of time stressing the pump on/off cycle. Very similar symptom w/ ours when it was in the process of failing pump motor bearings--on occasion would kick the breakers starting...for some months a reset would work, then finally one day it didn't.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

yes, except mine would not trip the breaker in the box. I think there must be an internal thing in pump because it kind of locks up. And I have to unplug it and let it cool off I guess. then plug it back in and its good. but i found that when this started it was time to clean the pump and pipes. Pump probably overworked. In fact mine is a foundation drain sump pump and the blades and pipe all were coated with 1/2" of sediment...

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Does the pump/well have enough capacity to quickly makeup the leaking toilet loss if it's running (the toilet, that is) continuously?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

though,

OK. Do you have adequate flow and pressure during daytime use, while showering, etc?.

I gather from your post the breaker is NOT tripped at night, you just switch it off for a few minutes then turn it back on. Is that correct?

Under normal circumstances would the pump would be off for an extended period during the evening, maybe 11 PM to 3 AM or so?

Reply to
Rick

The first thing to try is to fix the toilet. You could try replacing the breaker - they do go bad. Is the breaker "tripped" before you reset it? Or is it really on? Tripped is just slightly different position than on.

What happens when you run a sprinkler during the day?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"

The pump overheats due to air lock (from sediment buildup?) then stops pumping. Imagine an automotive fuel tank with no air inlet. In this case the car stalls and the fuel tank collapses.

I'm not sure this is your problem.

Reply to
Sam Nickaby

no the breaker is not tripped. I turn it off and on. I rarely run the sprinker during the day

Reply to
cjkeenan

Well, actually it sounds to me like it may be the other way 'round...the pump's running continously at night after someone flushes the commode and it doesn't stop running. He gets up and he's lost water during the night. That appears to me to be a good possibility of losing head or somesuch...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Start by changing the breaker. It might be going bad. If you have another breaker of the same amperage in your box, just swap them.

Reply to
anoldfart2

If you're comfortable enough doing this, and have a clamp on ammmeter, measure the current draw before you switch the breaker. If the pump is locked up or it's running but just not pumping anything, it will still draw current. If there's no current draw you have an electrical problem.

Since you say the problem doesn't occur and flow and pressure are adequate during daytime use it doesn't sound like a low water table. The pump runs and cycles more during the day from normal usage. From your description it only happens when the pump has not run for quite a while..

Reply to
Rick

'round...the

OK, from the original 2 posts I took it as he flushes the toilet during the night and it doesn't refill. Didn't see the part about the flapper being stuck and it running all night long...

Reply to
Rick