Subfloor thickness

I am building up the concrete slab floor in my mudroom. I plan to lay T& G plywood over 1/2" x 4" sleeper joists 2' o.c. with 1/2" rigid foam between them. I may put down tile and I understand tile will not tolerate floor flexing before they crack. What's the minimum plywood thickness that I can get away with? I am hoping the foam would provide some floor support. I only have

2" from the concrete slab to the bottom of the doors and I don't want to raise them.

Thanks.

Reply to
Saychris2

You have two inches for sleepers, insulation foam, subfloor, wonder board to support the tile, and tile flooring? Two inches is not enough space. I never heard of a 1/2" thick sleeper, but I can't say it's not OK. Nails will barely bite it, and adhesive won't necessarily solve the problem because foam will be between the sleepers and subfloor, so I would use lots and lots of screws to grab the sleepers. I *think* you need pressure treated sleepers. I can't seem to figure out if you need a 6 mil barrier on top of the sleepers and under the foam, but maybe you have a barrier under the slab that's sufficient, but do not take my word for it.

Insulation 1/2 inch, well, ok. Provides little or no strength to floor.

Subfloor. Here in NC, on 24" OC joists, it has to be 11/16 if perfectly perpendicular to joists, or 3/4 if on an angle to joists. If you add more sleepers to achieve 16" OC, the subfloor can be 5/8 thick.

We're up to 1-5/8 already, and you cannot get wonderboard and tile in 3/8 inches.

You have enough space for ... linoleum.

Did I understand your question?

-B

The book I have states that ANSI standards recommend that a plywood setting bed for a floor or countertop be a minimum thickness of 1 1/8". It also recommends laminating two sheets (1/2" & 5/8")together to achieve this. This was from 1998 so things might have changed.

Of course this depends, to me anyway, on the joist spacing. In my bathroom I used 5/8" plywood with 1/2" Durock. I should have gone with 3/4" ply and

1/4" Durock, but it's been fine for several years. I also added some blocking between joists to eliminate deflection.

I've seen many recommendations of 3/4" plywood with 16"O.C. and that will prolly work.

I'd double up your sleepers to a 12" o.c. just to give a bit more leeway. Slap on some 3/4" T&G and you'd be good to go.

Reply to
Bob Huckleby

Thank you for your comments. I think I will go carpet or hardwood. I completely forgot about the wonder board under the tile.

I am also worried about only a half inch bite. I didn't clearly describe the foam. I plan to place strips of foam in the "bays" between the sleepers, not over them. I hope lots of srews and glue will help.

I bought pressure treated sleepers because I could not justify tripling the cost for the synthetic deck boards.

I question the position of the plastic too, but a website (seems reputable) that I visited recommended placing it over the sleepers/foam.

I think I will put 5/8 plywood over the sleepers situated 16" oc.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Saychris2

Thanks for your help. You and the other response that I received mentioned the Durock that I completely forgot about. I can't squeeze everthing within the 2" limit so I think carpet or hardwood over the 3/4" is the new plan.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Saychris2

Install the ceramic tile over the slab. What's your problem?

Reply to
Bill