Sub Zero refridgerator power consumption high coolant or copmpressor??

When I recently measured teh power consumption of my 1998 vintage sub zero

550 refrigerator I found that it is using about 4 KWH/Day which is at least 50% higher than teh manufacturer claims. It appears the refrigerator compressor is running most of the time.at a setting of 5 the refrigerator maintains a 45degree temp The condenser is not even warm so I'm thinking its either in need of a recharge or a compressor being recently unemployed I'd liek to get this resolved as innexpensively as possible and would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed thanks in advance
Reply to
Boboranntrottier

Since you have the time right now, try cleaning both evaporators and condensers (outside and inside) if you can get to the inner ones easily. SubZero units are almost always dual systems, one for fresh food and one for freezer. You should see two complete systems when you remove the access panel. It is best to think of it as two seperate units.

I hope this is helpful.

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

When the compressor is running, the tube from the compressor to the top of the condensor should be so hot that you don't want to touch it.

If it's not, that sure sounds like low freon, to me. I think they started to come out with 134A in 1993 (memory failure!!!) and so it's probably the new refrigerant. In any case, it's not dificult for a licensed appliance technician to juice up your refrigerator with new refrigerant.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon