Sub Zero 550 water leak

My sub zero leaked water on the floor when it defrosted. Someone else had almost the same problem about a leak underneath. I fixed mine. If that someone else still has a problem reply and I will explain what I found.

Reply to
ronfelli

I have been having this problem sporatically for many months. Is it caused by the drain tube freezing? What can I do about it?

DB

Reply to
dbiker

I have been having this problem sporatically for many months. Is it caused by the drain tube freezing? What can I do about it?

and the water would overflow from the water trough inside the refrigerator and run under under the crisper draws and then out on to the kitchen floor. I fixed this by removing the drain pan and putting a vacuum on the drian tube on the bottom and sucking a pice of string down the drain tube from inside the refrig at the water trough. Then I used the string to pull a thin pice of bare copper wire into the tube and left it in. I left a few inches sticking out the bottom. Put the drain pan back. Just enough heat conducts up the wire to keep the tube from frezzing. I did that about 3 years ago and that never happened again. It used to happen about once every 2 months. Oh yea. You can only do this when the tube is not frozen. Let me know how you make out. If yours is not leaking from inside and seams to be from under the refrig get back to me and I will tell you about what I thought was a water leak I had and how I resloved that. It is a longer story than this.

Reply to
ronfelli

This is a very clever fix. After being problem free all summer, I now have a clogged (undoubtedly frozen) drain tube again. But I will give it a try at the first opportunity.

A question: Where, relative to the center of the drain pan, should I be looking for the bottom of the drain tube?

DB

Reply to
dbiker

Mine was a whiteish corrugated tube that came down the back of thr refrig. and hung above the middle of the drain pan in the back. Once you remove the drain pain and look under with a flash light you can't miss it. Good luck. Ron

Reply to
ronfelli

Keep me informed on how it works out for you. It is over 2 years now since I did it and has not happened again. I will keep my fingers crossed for you too. Good luck. Ron

Reply to
ronfelli

Great fix!! I have been trying different things for ages. I just ran a copper wire & now I'm crossing my fingers. It took all of 10 minutes. About as long as it takes clear the ice plug.

If the hose is plugged with ice you don't have to wait to thaw it, I've been unplugging it for years with a turkey baster and a mixture of alcohol and salt water. Remove the crisper drawers. Pull the hose from the drainage tray (lay it down on a towel to drain the water on top of the ice plug), then fill the hose with alcohol. Then you can blast it clear with an air compressor. I ran the copper wire down from the top through the hose without needing to get undrneath.

Again, great fix!!! Thanks.

Reply to
northranch

Check our website for more details how to repair that leaking Sub Zero refrigerator.

Reply to
SubZeroRepairExpert

Ronfelli. I'd like to know about the second solution you mention above. My dripping seems to be caused by a cold spot on the back of the fridge that creates condensation which simply runs down the back and onto the floor. It may also be coming out of the hole that the wires go through as that spot is particularly rusty. Any thoughts.

Reply to
Lawrence

replying to ronfelli, Barbara 43 wrote: This worked for me.. I would have the service repair come to my home and free up the drain tube and within a few months it would freeze again and I would be scraping the ice...The new Sub Zero was about $11,000 so my help got on the floor and fed the wire and it works,,,Thank you for the advice..

Reply to
Barbara 43