sub zero 550 refrigerator

Purchased a 550 model refrigerator manufactured in 1993 top/bottom unit second hand. When originally viewed, unit seemed in good working condition. Refrigerator was cold and freezer was cold. The guy I bought it from delivered it on it's side(about a 15 mile drive) and after consulting subzero they said to let it stand upright for

24-48hrs... I left it for 72hrs. Plugged it in and set the settings on the lowest settings 1. Everything seemed to be working fine. Frig was about 47 degrees and freezer was 10 degrees. Turned the settings up to 3 and then 5 on each and on the freezer, I began to notice condensation forming on the bottom right side about a foot off the floor. After inspecting further it seems that there is a small outward dent at the point of condensation. This seems to me that there is some sort of structural wall damage to the freezer. So, we turned it back down to 1 and it stops. So, we then loaded the frig with food and then waited. the frig now won't go below 55 degrees on any setting. I inspected the condensors and carefully cleaned away any dust off the coils. I did notice that some of the aluminum fins are slighly bent. Anybody with any ideas on what could be the problems with this unit. Thanks.
Reply to
ryan

When you put the setting on 6 to 7 and wait overnight does it still stay around 55 and is the compressor running when you check on it?

If it's a auto defrost type, problem with a defrost control could be causing the defrost heater to battle out the refrigeration.

If that's not it, you have a problem with the hermetic system which would require an expensive service call, more so that your fridge is from 1993 that uses Freon 12.

ryan wrote:

Reply to
AC/DCdude17

Our 550 uses R134A refregerant. Our temp. is set at 4.5 frez and 5 ref. In addition to the defrost timer & heater there are circulator fans for refrig and freezer and the condenser fan that can fail. There are seperate compressors and refrigerant circuits for refrig and freezer in the 550 Be sure the lights go off when the doors are closed. The lamps make a lot of heat. Ours was a demo from a auction for a store that went out of business. The heavy panals they had on the door caused the lower hinge to sag a little. If the door is just slightly ajar the light stays on and the frig eventually shuts down. Good luck JohnD

Reply to
JOHN DEMCHAK

Hey ryan,

The proper method is lying on it's back side... or standing up is preffered.

This is to prevent liquid freon from damaging the compressor at start up. Since compressors are designed for gasses, not liquids.

Plugged it in and set the settings

Is this condensate on the door front or the gasket seating surface?

After inspecting further it seems that there is a small

How bad is the dent? could you send me a pic? to bstrang at sbcglobal dot net? Behind the gasket seat is a 3/16" copper tubing that circulates the high pressure freon to the drain pan loop and back to the condensor. This is to keep the gasket seat warm so that freeze up and condensate doesn't form. Is it possible that the line was pinched?

Keep in touch, Brian

Reply to
Bulletsnbrains

Hi Bulletsnbrains, hope you are having a nice day

On 25-Jul-04 At About 22:20:46, Bulletsnbrains wrote to All Subject: Re: sub zero 550 refrigerator

B> From: "Bulletsnbrains"

B> Hey ryan,

B> The proper method is lying on it's back side... or standing up is B> preffered.

The proper method is to not lay it down at all.

B> This is to prevent liquid freon from damaging the compressor at start B> up. Since compressors are designed for gasses, not liquids.

No it isn't liquid refrigerant that is the problem. it is the oil. the oil can plug the capillary tubes if you lay it down.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2