Sub panel install costs

Hi, I'd like to know a ballpark figure of doing some wiring, just labor, I'll be suppling the materials:

Running wiring to a 125a subpanel in my garage, from a 200a main load center, be both 110 and 220 circuits. Will have to install a 70a breaker to feed the subpanel. Then run 20' to my garage, in 1" dia. plastic conduit. The subpanel is a Sq. D 125a unit. Need to run 1 220v circuit to feed a table saw, initially. It will be runned in 3/4" metal conduit, 25' run,

12/3 with gr.

Location is Knoxville, TN.

If there's any electricians that would be interested taking on a small job, please let me know, at the approixmate cost for labor.

TIA,

Tony

Reply to
Tony

I'm not an electrician, but I believe most of the labor is usually running the feeder conductors, and you didn't give enough detail about this. Is the garage attached or detached?

If it's detached:

1) are you gonna dig the trench for the conduit? 2) are there any existing wires to the garage that need to be abandoned?

If it's attached:

1) how hard is it to get from the main panel to the attic, or wherever you're planning to run this 20 feet of 1" conduit? 2) why conduit and not SER cable?

I have a 100A (or maybe it's 125A) Square D Homeline panel in my garage. It works just fine, but if I was starting all over and not reusing any materials, I might look for a GE Powerline panel. Homeline has an aluminum buss and I believe all GE panels have copper busses. GE makes a cute little plastic load center with four 1 inch spaces that would take up to 8 individual half-inch breakers. And I like the wire terminals on GE breakers better than Square D (homeline *or* QO).

BTW, you're gonna have sticker shock when you price the copper wire.

-bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

SER is not rated to be installed in conduit. You would need a lot larger then 1 inch conduit

Every manufacture makes panels with Banboonium and Copper. Copper bussing just costs more than Aluminum. For the average home Al bussing is just fine, IMP

GE makes a cute

Reply to
SQLit

Hi, it's an attached garage, the home load center is behind the garage, on the wall of the house, going to attach the conduit to the house wall.

The 4g wire was $.35 per foot, ground was less then that. Got 60' of 4g and 20' of 6g for ground. Looking for rough labor cost....

Reply to
Tony

I only plastic conduit when an upgrade may be sensible. Your plan seems to cover a well powered garage. Spend a smidge more for the wire (for 125 amps), feed with a 75 breaker if you want to save $20. I don't know of any home or garage appliance that can't be run in a 1/2 conduit. Get your own permit (ask about depth, they'll help), rent the trencher (it's actually fun), lay the wire (USE, propably cheapest), and call for trench inspecttion (before rain washes it full again). Then get electrician to do the other work. My biggest costs on his job would be the rental and travel time with the trencher. Existing breakers could go in new panel if same brand.

Tim S.

Reply to
Tim or Marty Shephard