Sub Floor Removal

Hi. I have two layers of vinyl and 1/8"-1/4" subfloor that I would like to take up to redo a hardwood floor below. How can I do so without harming the wood underneath?
Thanks.
Brooke
____________________________________ Posted via Homerepairlive.com http://www.homerepairlive.com
I have done this before and the trick I used was to glue an old piece of carpet to a piece of 1/4" plywood. The carpet will slide along on the flooring not to be harmed while the 1/4" plywood will be used as the surface to which a pry bar can rest upon.
The hardest part is getting it started. Once started, slide the carpet-plywood jig along under the edge of the old sub-flooring, using the pry bar to pry little areas at a time. In my case I was able to free a couple feet section and then grab a hold to it with my hands and lift up. Usually several feet came free at a time.

Neat trick.
Ken
Newfie said: I have done this before and the trick I used was to glue an old piece of carpet to a piece of 1/4" plywood. The carpet will slide along on the flooring not to be harmed while the 1/4" plywood will be used as the surface to which a pry bar can rest upon.
The hardest part is getting it started. Once started, slide the carpet-plywood jig along under the edge of the old sub-flooring, using the pry bar to pry little areas at a time. In my case I was able to free a couple feet section and then grab a hold to it with my hands and
lift up. Usually several feet came free at a time.
I added: Take a circular saw and set the depth to cut through the two layers of vinyl and most of the way through the plywood. Then cut a checkerboard pattern on the floor before you start prying. The smaller pieces will be easier to pull up and dispose of. Dust mask and goggles are highly recommended esp. if the vinyl turns out to be asbestos.