Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

Page 6 of 6

and
dump
I said "history of that additive", referring to the MSG. You asked what history had to do with food. MSG is not a food, and it has an interesting history, insofar as its effects on some people.

I don't ever recall seeing that product in the supermarkets. What is/was it?

dump
I see from subsequent posts that it was/is MSG. With you now.
wrote in message

dump
It's MSG. Rarely advertised, but used to be pitched aggressively. If you put a bit on your tongue, you'll find it makes you salivate. It enhances the flavor of food. It's also blamed for a list of symptoms, most of which I don't remember because the controversy over the stuff occurred years ago. Some of its effects were proven, some not. This is why many Asian restaurants make a point of posting signs saying "No MSG used here".
Any cook who needs that sort of thing is a hack, and should be added to the soup.

violent headaches in susceptable people. it's a hereditary hypersensitivity. my older brother has it, i don't (but i'm the only one in the family hypersensitive to artificial sweeteners). i think a few people reported heart palpitations, but that's one of the unproved claims. lee

The heart palpitations sound right. I once ate an obscene amount of Kentucky Fried Chicken after not eating all day. At the time (and maybe even now), the stuff was loaded with MSG. I had heart palpitations that were alarming. I was young (25) and stupid - did nothing about the situation. Now, I'd call an ambulance.
Doug Kanter posted for all of us....

--
Tekkie

wrote in message

i just tried the bread improver... it certainly does give extra boost to the yeast. the one i use is vital wheat gluten with vitamin C. i suspect the added elasticity from the gluten helps it rise better, while the vitamin C helps the yeast grow faster. BTW, i store mine in the freezer. this is only a good idea if a) you don't bake bread more often than once/week & b) you remember you put it in the freezer <g> lee

Alzheimers? :-))
I don't bother to store mine in the freezer - I use it fairly quickly. I do however keep my coffee grounds in the freezer.
Fran posted for all of us....

Stay on topic
--
Tekkie

makes
as
old)
Try thinking about what IS on topic.
Rural people bake bread. God knows what alt home people do, but presumably they could also bake bread in their homes.
wrote in message

being as how this group is MISC.rural, we are on topic. breadmaking is also a rural pursuit. who died & made you newsgroup nanny anyway? and shouldn't the nanny know how to snip quotes? lee
<obviously not too tekkie if you don't understand usenet protocol>
Then stop cross-posting to alt.home.repair, where you most certainly are OFF topic.
Followup set to misc.rural, so I (hoepfully) won't see any replies to this post.

are
Lurking there in what you say is a the sort of frugal, D-I-Y, skills based (even if hard gained) philosophy that I admire. I suspect that claim of yours to being miserly is merely false modesty.