Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

Accent, MSG... poh-tay-toe, puh-taht-oh... What's the diff, other than the name, and how much more it costs when it stops being "MSG" and magically transforms into "Accent" during the "put it in the shaker" phase of manufacturing? I'm also curious as to what history has to do with food? (Aside from the basic concept that if the food in question can be said to have a history, it's probably time to clean out the fridge! "I remember these lima beans... Wasn't that the night that Aunt Tillie got drunk and... and... NOOOOoooooooo! The trauma of that memory!!!!! Make me blind! Please, god, make me blind!!!!! I'll never be able to look at a whole dill pickle as "food" again! Oh, the horror...")

Reply to
Don Bruder

I said "history of that additive", referring to the MSG. You asked what history had to do with food. MSG is not a food, and it has an interesting history, insofar as its effects on some people.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Mr. Cresswell..............Are you a particular Peter Cresswell that once worked for Circuit City an various Localities?

The name is oddly familiar................Could this be the name that used to show up at times in the Circuit City DFW area?

Just Curious.............I don;t remember much else about the aforementioned person, 'cept he worked at a couple or three different stores in Dallas Area, and somehere else before that,............California I think.............Been years, ya know...........more than Ten for me.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Fran posted for all of us....

Stay on topic

Reply to
Tekkie

Doug Kanter posted for all of us....

Reply to
Tekkie

I don't ever recall seeing that product in the supermarkets. What is/was it?

Reply to
Fran

Try thinking about what IS on topic.

Rural people bake bread. God knows what alt home people do, but presumably they could also bake bread in their homes.

Reply to
Fran

I see from subsequent posts that it was/is MSG. With you now.

Reply to
Fran

Here's the correct (strange) spelling, although there are two ways to spell it...

Qigong

I recommend the following book:

"The Way of Qigong" by Kenneth S. Cohen (ISBN 0-345-42109-4)

I taught Qig>

Reply to
Phisherman

It's MSG. Rarely advertised, but used to be pitched aggressively. If you put a bit on your tongue, you'll find it makes you salivate. It enhances the flavor of food. It's also blamed for a list of symptoms, most of which I don't remember because the controversy over the stuff occurred years ago. Some of its effects were proven, some not. This is why many Asian restaurants make a point of posting signs saying "No MSG used here".

Any cook who needs that sort of thing is a hack, and should be added to the soup.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Tekkie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.Individual.net:

being as how this group is MISC.rural, we are on topic. breadmaking is also a rural pursuit. who died & made you newsgroup nanny anyway? and shouldn't the nanny know how to snip quotes? lee

Reply to
enigma

"Doug Kanter" wrote in news:oixAd.1321$ snipped-for-privacy@news01.roc.ny:

violent headaches in susceptable people. it's a hereditary hypersensitivity. my older brother has it, i don't (but i'm the only one in the family hypersensitive to artificial sweeteners). i think a few people reported heart palpitations, but that's one of the unproved claims. lee

Reply to
enigma

The heart palpitations sound right. I once ate an obscene amount of Kentucky Fried Chicken after not eating all day. At the time (and maybe even now), the stuff was loaded with MSG. I had heart palpitations that were alarming. I was young (25) and stupid - did nothing about the situation. Now, I'd call an ambulance.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Then stop cross-posting to alt.home.repair, where you most certainly are OFF topic.

Followup set to misc.rural, so I (hoepfully) won't see any replies to this post.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone