Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

Page 4 of 6

Even more fun: I bought a 6-pack at 7-11 last week. The sale came to six-something. I pulled a $10 bill out of my wallet, but held it because the clerk was dealing with some cash that was already on the counter for some reason - also a $10 bill. She handed me change. I told her I hadn't put my money down yet. She said "Oh yeah...you gave me a ten. It's the only one in my drawer". I insisted, she insisted, I told her why I'd kept the money in my hand, and then I gave up. I stopped in the next day for something else and asked if her drawer came out short the day before. She said "Yeah...it was a mess, but not by the amount you were wrong about". WTF? If she was making these mistakes all day, how could she possibly know HOW much it should be off by?
I haven't run into the owner yet, but he needs to know about this mess. Or scam. Or something.
ever happened to simple math. Everything is done on computers now.<BR>You go into a store , your bill comes to say $9.35 you give the clerk<BR>$10.00. They ring it up and go to give you the $.65 cents back. Instead<BR>you give them the $.35. They stand there and look at you with a dumb<BR>look. They are lost. You actually have to tell them , "my change is a<BR>$1.00.<BR><BR>Pat.<BR><BR> <P> <HR>
<P></P></BLOCKQUOTE><BODYBGCOLOR="WHITE"TEXT="GREEN"></BODY></HTML>
------=

DOH! that's true. i was thinking northern US. i'm pretty sure points south need our 'off-season' items (although having shopped in FL in February, i *was* wondering just how many of those down jackets actually sold... )

got any active volcanoes? my 4 year old is presevating on volcanoes currently. lee
--
It is paradoxical that many educators and parents still
differentiate

Those thin-blooded people in Florida wear down jackets when the temp dips below 70

-- Bill
RE/

Long, long ago and far, far away I was sitting on a bench in a tropical commercial area - wearing a long-sleeve sweater and freezing my butt off because the temp was down 65 degrees in December. A guy just off the plane from Montana sits down beside me; apparently feels the need to make conversation; and says "Sure is hot and muggy...".
--
PeteCresswell

snipped-for-privacy@empire.net (enigma) says...

Have you looked at the Cascades Volcano Observatory page? They have a web cam aimed at Mt. St. Helens. During the recent Lunar eclipse, they put together a web cam movie, and an anonymous fan cleaned up all the pixel noise. It is about 7 megs, but worth downloading if you have the time.
http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/framework.html for a page full of links, and http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/archive/eruptions.shtml for movies. Scroll down to the "Blinded by the Light" or "Dancing in the Moonlight (Enhanced)" movies for the enhanced eruption by moonlight.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

(enigma) says...

oh yeah, i have one browser tab always open to the Mt.St.Helens cam. there's also a website with lots of eruption pictures of various active volcanoes worldwide (no movies though) & a downloadable volcano eruption model... Boo's very disappointed that Mt.St.Helens isn't spewing lava though... he does like seeing how the ash cone is growing, but it's not spectacular enough, i guess. since we're on Eastern time, we get to watch sunrise on the volcano cam. it's pretty cool watching the sun rise twice (once here & then on the west coast) lee

Don't take it too personally Jeff. Be glad you don't live next door to her, or worse, married to her.
_______________________________________________________________________ SteveM
Stephen Moore wrote:

Naw, you misunderstood me Steve. I just figured that given the part of the world it was posted from, maybe things had a propensity for becoming inverted and reversed.
How did you adevine that Fran is a she? The best damn nanny we had when the kids were small was named Fran. He was a guy named Francis, and very much a man. <G>
Back to the thread now:
I am very pissed at the inconsideration of store employees who lock the entrance door several minutes before the closing time posted on that door. That sometimes happens just as I'm striding toward it, having probably driven a bit too recklessly through exasperating traffic conditions for the past twenty minutes to get there, and exhaling a sigh of relief thinking that I'd "made it" in time to buy that one thing I desparately needed.
Pointing at my (accurate) watch and gesturing is fruitless, I'm know I'm not gonna get what I came for.
Yeah, I understand they want to finish their work and get home, so why not post a closing time 15 minutes earlier and then keep the doors unlocked 5 minutes past that time so people like me don't feel they're being shat on?
My uncle Schlomo would have kept his shop open till the next day if customers were still heading toward the door. Course it was *his* store and that's what makes the difference. Just try telling a store employee that the people he's "working for" are really the customers, not the store's managers. Chances are he/she won't understand what you're saying.
A close second for the annoyance award are the shopkeepers who are too lazy or dumb to take down the "OPEN" signs in their windows when they close up. You don't find out the place is closed until after you've hunted around for five minutes to finally find a parking space a block away, then then hoof it over to the locked store in a pouring rainstorm. Arrgh!
Happy HGolidays all!
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
RE/

I've got a better one:
Major electric utility in an eastern city, located sort of on the fringes of "Center City".
A fair number of more-or-less-not-to-be-expected closing-type holidays for a company of that size/position.
On any one of those days in the winter, you can look out your window (some of us worked on those days) and watch a steady trickle of elderly people - mostly women - disembark from taxicabs to pay their bills in cash as they have been doing for the last fifty years or so.
Distance from the curb to the entrance must be at least 100 feet. *Nothing* on the outside of the building to tell them it's closed....just a little 3" high sign on the glass inside the door - that can't be read until somebody practically has their nose to the glass. No outdoor phone, few cabs...they're just left standing on this windswept corner in the winter.
Wrote up a company suggestion on it....rejected.
--
PeteCresswell

Put the store manager's home number on your cell phone. dial it, and hand it to the elderly person. Repeat as necessary.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

That would be the CEO, who lives in a gated community somewhere with a personal assistant to buffer the outside world.
--
PeteCresswell

If that shop is part of a chain, stop in the next day and ask for the name and number of the district manager.
Then give that DM a call and ask him why that shop was closing early that evening. Don't whine about it ( I know you wouldn't, but there are others that read this NG and they might be inclined to), but just act a trifle concerned hopong that no one was ill or some such. Then thank the DM kindly and see if the s**t doesn't hit that shop and anybody who was on the sked the evening in question.
Charlie

Wash your mouth out Stephen!
I was fussy about who I married and I chose wisely and well and we have been happy together for more that 30 years. I didn't choose a sloth who can't sew on his own button nor one who thinks that merely because we have managed to climb up the dung pile and have reached a technical millionarie status that we (or he) can become lazy and not do our/his own dirty work.
You must be a conservative. WEll spoken, friend.
--

Christopher A. Young
Keep Jesus Christ in CHRISTmas

And do you bitch whenever your four year old decided to use storebought bread instead of baking a loaf when she's hungry?
Just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something.
ie, It's cheaper for Bill Gates to walk past a $50 bill on the sidewalk than to spend the 15 seconds to stop, bend over, and pick it up.
Noozer posted for all of us....

I don't know about that. He would still be $50 ahead because his income never seems to stall out.
--
Tekkie

than
But he wasted 15 seconds picking up the $50... 15 seconds is worth more than $50 to him.

15 seconds? Damn, what's he doing? Calculating the wind force? I'd have that off the ground and in my pocket in less then 3 seconds!

no, it's not. he makes money because he has stocks, bonds, trusts & company income. bending down to pick up $50 makes him $50 richer. it doesn't take away anything from what he was already making. perhaps that's why he has money & you don't. he's not to proud to pick up something from the ground. lee<who also dumpster dives>
Only if he can -do- something with the 15 sec. In your scenario, there is nothing else he can do so by not picking it up he looses $50 and gains nothing.
Harry K