Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

The average may be *equal* to the median, but the average is *never* "defined as the median."

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

There are three types of "average". "Mean", "median", and "mode".

You correctly described "median", but what you call "average" is the "mean".

"Mode" is where most are found, and is not always applicable to a list of numbers. In your example, "46" is the "modal average" because there's more of that number than any other.

Reply to
Offbreed

It is not possible for the median and

Jeez, you are SO unintelligent? Median and average are NOT the same. You do NOT calculate the median by adding up a list and then dividing by the number of items IN the list, which IS how you calculate the average!

You need to go ejumacate yersilf!

----------------

45 46 46 47------> Median because there are 3 pieces above and 3 pieces below 50 57 60

N+1 (N is the number of pieces of data) ----- 2 because the median divides the set of data into 2 equal pieces.

--------------------

AVERAGE is the quotient obtained by dividing the sum total of a set of figures by the number of figures (scored an average of 85 on tests).

Now, if you meant, Mean, or mode, ... well, you get the picture. Thimk man, thimk!

Is it accurate to use the average of a set of averages? Think about it. Err, I mean, thimk about it. Then calc the mean, mode, median, average and ... .

Pop

Reply to
Pop

In intelligence tests, the average is

Woof! What "intelligence" tests do YOU take? It would never be used as you expressed it!

You don't know what you're talking about: It is entirely possible, and often happens, that the median and average ARE different. Take 0,2,3,4,8. The median is 3. But the average is 17/5, or 3.4.

Take 0, 0, 1, 9, 90: The Median is 1. The AVERAGE is 25.

When you only 'think' you know what your'e saying, shut up until you 'know' what you're saying. Don't show off your ignorance - it's not polite and it embarasses you. People who DO know will think you are unejumakatid! Dunt loghk lIke yewer stooppid.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

But he wasted 15 seconds picking up the $50... 15 seconds is worth more than $50 to him.

Reply to
Noozer

15 seconds? Damn, what's he doing? Calculating the wind force? I'd have that off the ground and in my pocket in less then 3 seconds!
Reply to
Elf!

RE/

What would be the median of 0,2,17,23 ?

9.5?
Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

Tekkie wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.Individual.net:

well, i can tell you that the wealthy tend to get that way & stay that way because they *aren't* unwilling to stoop for that $50, or pennies for that matter... i pick up change i find on the ground. i've made well over $100/year picking up pennies other people were too lazy to pick up & my net worth is pretty high. of course now i have a

4 year old to pick change up for me (& he actively searches for it) so i don't have to bend so much ;) lee
Reply to
enigma

"Noozer" wrote in news:DB4zd.583767$%k.567268@pd7tw2no:

no, it's not. he makes money because he has stocks, bonds, trusts & company income. bending down to pick up $50 makes him $50 richer. it doesn't take away anything from what he was already making. perhaps that's why he has money & you don't. he's not to proud to pick up something from the ground. lee

Reply to
enigma

Only if he can -do- something with the 15 sec. In your scenario, there is nothing else he can do so by not picking it up he looses $50 and gains nothing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Yes. For an odd number of items, the median is a value midway between the two middle items, even if such a value doesn't exist in the population.

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Correction. Of course, I should have said, for an *even* number of items...

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Thanks - I was starting to think I was losing it until I got to your followup.

-)

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I'll even pick up a single penny.

Pure superstition: I think if I let that penny sit there, it's something about disrespecting money...and that can't be anything but bad...

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

It doesn't take anywhere close to fifteen seconds to stoop and pick something up off the sidewalk.

Call me anal, but I actually timed it once: about a half second.

Think about that the next time you decide not to pick up a penny. Is your time

*really* worth more than $72 an hour? That's what a penny for a half-second works out to.

I *always* pick up every coin I see. I've probably picked up a hundred dollars in loose coins over the years.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This is not correct. Average and *mean* are the same by definition. The median is not the same.

Not if the population is sufficiently large, and the characteristic being measured is distributed normally across that population.

Yes, but (a) it's a small population, and (b) that's not a normal distribution. IQ tests are normed -- in fact, *must* be, to be statistically valid -- over a very large population, and the measurements follow a normal distribution. Thus, in IQ testing, the mean, the median, and the mode may not be absolutely identical, but there is necessarily very little difference between them.

Stupidity is the absence of intelligence, no?

Reply to
Doug Miller

No. Average is the mean. Median and mode are different.

It's simply the "mode" -- the value that occurs most often.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Reply to
ZZonka Tonka

That's why you squat instead of bend.

Reply to
Doug Miller

ZZonka Tonka wrote in news:2Hqzd.8590$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

bend from the knees! :) seriously, i have 2 shattered vertebrae (21 & 22. lower back) with floating bone chips. you have to be nice to your back. and remember, put the water tanks on the shelf open side down ;) lee

Reply to
enigma