Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

Page 3 of 6
Wrong
Median. The point 1/2 way between two ends of a string of points, i.e., 50% above and 50% below.
Average: All points added together and then divided by the number of points.
It is rare for both to coincide exactly.
Harry K
Larry Caldwell wrote:

The average may be *equal* to the median, but the average is *never* "defined as the median."
It is not possible for the median and

Jeez, you are SO unintelligent? Median and average are NOT the same. You do NOT calculate the median by adding up a list and then dividing by the number of items IN the list, which IS how you calculate the average!
You need to go ejumacate yersilf! ---------------- 45 46 46 47------> Median because there are 3 pieces above and 3 pieces below 50 57 60
N+1 (N is the number of pieces of data) ----- 2 because the median divides the set of data into 2 equal pieces. --------------------
AVERAGE is the quotient obtained by dividing the sum total of a set of figures by the number of figures (scored an average of 85 on tests).
Now, if you meant, Mean, or mode, ... well, you get the picture. Thimk man, thimk!
Is it accurate to use the average of a set of averages? Think about it. Err, I mean, thimk about it. Then calc the mean, mode, median, average and ... .
Pop
Pop wrote:

There are three types of "average". "Mean", "median", and "mode".
You correctly described "median", but what you call "average" is the "mean".
"Mode" is where most are found, and is not always applicable to a list of numbers. In your example, "46" is the "modal average" because there's more of that number than any other.

No. Average is the mean. Median and mode are different.

It's simply the "mode" -- the value that occurs most often.
Doug Miller wrote:

In an idiomatic sense he's right, because colloquially "average" doesn't necessarily mean "mean" in the mathematical sense. Strictly speaking, the mean, median and mode are measures of "central tendency" which is akin to the colloquial definition of "average."
Doug Miller wrote:

<http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn?stage=1&word=average
(Side note: Google has added a new function. Go to Google Wed Search and enter "define:average" and see what you come up with. That function will come in handy.)
In intelligence tests, the average is

Woof! What "intelligence" tests do YOU take? It would never be used as you expressed it!
You don't know what you're talking about: It is entirely possible, and often happens, that the median and average ARE different. Take 0,2,3,4,8. The median is 3. But the average is 17/5, or 3.4.
Take 0, 0, 1, 9, 90: The Median is 1. The AVERAGE is 25.
When you only 'think' you know what your'e saying, shut up until you 'know' what you're saying. Don't show off your ignorance - it's not polite and it embarasses you. People who DO know will think you are unejumakatid! Dunt loghk lIke yewer stooppid.
Pop
RE/

What would be the median of 0,2,17,23 ?
9.5?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Yes. For an odd number of items, the median is a value midway between the two middle items, even if such a value doesn't exist in the population.
Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

Correction. Of course, I should have said, for an *even* number of items...
Raymond J. Johnson Jr. wrote:

Thanks - I was starting to think I was losing it until I got to your followup. -)
--
PeteCresswell

Well there is always the DMV.
--

Roger Shoaf

I avoid going to (any) stores in December. It is too hectic and too hard on credit cards. I have plenty of household repairs to do with everything I need.
<snip>

Those recycled bags must cost .0001 each. If she manages to talk 10,000 customers out of them, and the are 10 checkers working at any one time, well, let's see the store saves......

I've always wondered if this is because the schools have stopped teaching the story problems I had as a kid (50's and 60's)?. We were taught to think or at least the effort was made. The ones that go. If Sally had 3 quarts of ice cream and wanted to give Nancy 1/3 and save the rest for Billy, how many planets would completely rotate around the sun by the time most kids today would figure it out?
An interesting interview question I read about once was "if a room is 9x12 with an 8 foot ceiling, how many pennies could be stacked in that room?" The interviewer's purpose was not testing the applicant for the answer, rather he wanted the applicant to explain to him how he would calculate the answer, ie, his thinking process. More of this needs to be taught and re-inforced in the government schools today, but we all know that's not going to happen. If the answer is not A, B, C, or none of the above, they're lost.
_______________________________________________________________________ SteveM

Or, maybe you were on Candid Camera and didn't know it. One episode they had a bagger follow the customer out to their car and ask for the bags back as they were running out. _______________________________________________________________________ SteveM

liter
would
bottles
My favorite was one where they placed traffic lights at the intersection of two narrow sidewalks in Central Park. When the light turned red, pedestrians stopped and waited. And waited. And waited. Like sheep. :-) And this was 30 years ago, before people generally expected to see others on rollerblades & bikes in a place like that. Just pedestrians.
Stephen Moore wrote:

Don't forget, there are stupid customers too, and LOTS of them. I used to work in a TV and appliance store, and people were continually coming to the store in subcompact cars and acting surprised when there was no way to get a 32" TV in them without taking them out of the box. My favorite was a guy who insisted on trying to put a big box with a TV in it into the back door of a small car. You could see from a block away that it wouldn't fit (of course the guy was too cheap to have it delivered). I was trying to help him, and finally I said, "Look--this isn't going to fit. You can either take it out of the box or find another way to get it home." "But I want to keep the box," he whined. I told him we could flatten the box, and he could just tape it back together when he wanted to use it. He finally relented and we took the TV out of the box and put it the back seat. I asked him if he wanted me to flatten the box for him, and he said no, he'd do it. As I was going back to the store I turned and sure enough, he was trying to fit the empty box, intact, into the car. I couldn't resist. I walked back and said "Sir, the box doesn't get smaller when you take the TV out of it." "Well," he said, "I just wanted to see if it would fit."

A friend of mine works for Bed Bath & Beyond, which is well known for taking almost any returns. This past summer, an elderly couple came in with a WaterPik and tried to return it because the water tube was brittle. The product was 3 years old, as evidenced by their receipt. They became irate when told that the thing was out of warranty....blah blah blah. Even BB&B wouldn't go for this nonsense. Not sure if those customers were stupid, or just had bigger balls than most people.
--WebTV-Mail-31585-1894 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
What ever happened to simple math. Everything is done on computers now. You go into a store , your bill comes to say $9.35 you give the clerk $10.00. They ring it up and go to give you the $.65 cents back. Instead you give them the $.35. They stand there and look at you with a dumb look. They are lost. You actually have to tell them , "my change is a $1.00.
Pat.
--WebTV-Mail-31585-1894 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-31585-1894--