Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

A friend of mine works for Bed Bath & Beyond, which is well known for taking almost any returns. This past summer, an elderly couple came in with a WaterPik and tried to return it because the water tube was brittle. The product was 3 years old, as evidenced by their receipt. They became irate when told that the thing was out of warranty....blah blah blah. Even BB&B wouldn't go for this nonsense. Not sure if those customers were stupid, or just had bigger balls than most people.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Right. one SD either side of the median is 2/3rds of the total in a standard distribution and that's what is meant by average intelligence

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Hope not since he misspelled it....

Reply to
Dennis Turner

Don't outsmart yourself. In intelligence tests, the average is defined as the median. It is not possible for the median and average to be different.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Have you looked at the Cascades Volcano Observatory page? They have a web cam aimed at Mt. St. Helens. During the recent Lunar eclipse, they put together a web cam movie, and an anonymous fan cleaned up all the pixel noise. It is about 7 megs, but worth downloading if you have the time.

for a page full of links, and
for movies. Scroll down to the "Blinded by the Light" or "Dancing in the Moonlight (Enhanced)" movies for the enhanced eruption by moonlight.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

That's nothing. I saw a guy cleaning the tables at McDonalds with the toilet brush, right after he finished cleaning the toilets, and he didn't even rinse the brush. One table even had a small piece of fresh shit on it, and he just took a napkin and wiped it off.

Reply to
troller

what were you doing in the mcdonald's?

Reply to
effi

"(Pete Cresswell)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

average is generally considered 80-100, but since it's really impossible to test for intelligence, it's not terribly accurate.

University psychologist, Lewis Terman, translated and revised the intelligence scale created by Alfred Binet and Theodore Simon. Hence the name of the new instrument, the Stanford- Binet Intelligence Scale; in this instrument, Terman used an intelligence quotient (IQ)?the measure of mental age compared to chronological age. For example, a six year old child with a mental age of 6 would have an IQ of 100 (the ?average? IQ score); a six year old child with a mental age of 3 would have an IQ of 67; a six year old child with a mental age of 9 would have an IQ of 150.

children, but what do you do about adults? What?s the difference between a mental age of 25, say, and a mental age of 45? Needless to say, the problems here are so complicated that today psychologists have given up the idea of an intelligence quotient per se although they have retained the use of the term IQ (meaning simply intelligence) along with the reference of 100 as an average IQ.

lee

Reply to
enigma

He was cleaning the tables. Obviously.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Larry Caldwell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.west.earthlink.net:

oh yeah, i have one browser tab always open to the Mt.St.Helens cam. there's also a website with lots of eruption pictures of various active volcanoes worldwide (no movies though) & a downloadable volcano eruption model... Boo's very disappointed that Mt.St.Helens isn't spewing lava though... he does like seeing how the ash cone is growing, but it's not spectacular enough, i guess. since we're on Eastern time, we get to watch sunrise on the volcano cam. it's pretty cool watching the sun rise twice (once here & then on the west coast) lee

Reply to
enigma

And do you bitch whenever your four year old decided to use storebought bread instead of baking a loaf when she's hungry?

Just because someone CAN do something doesn't mean they SHOULD do something.

ie, It's cheaper for Bill Gates to walk past a $50 bill on the sidewalk than to spend the 15 seconds to stop, bend over, and pick it up.

Reply to
Noozer

RE/

Does this support my suspicion that all around me are people with room-temperature IQs?

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/

That would be the CEO, who lives in a gated community somewhere with a personal assistant to buffer the outside world.

Reply to
(Pete Cresswell)

I donno nutin bout no telleegent test, but a median is a midpoint in a series of numbers, it can and usually *is* different than the average, or mean.

Given: 1,3,8,10,12 median=8, avg(mean)=6.8

In the example above, 60% of the population was above average.

I don't know exactly how that is supposed to relate to 'stupid store employees' since the objective of the test is to quantify intelligence - something that has no direct bearing on stupidity, ignorance yes, stupidity no.

AL

Reply to
AL

The problem here is that we have no way of knowing what the curve looks like, because no measurement system has been defined, and we don't know other important factors about the population in question. While it's true that for a textbook gaussian curve the mean, median and mode are equal, the text book curve is theoretical, especially in this instance. If we're using a Stanford Binet IQ test, it could be, for any number of reasons, that there will be more "intelligent" people than "not intelligent" in which case the distribution could be skewed. I stand by the original statement, because it is, by definition, the number referred to, that being a "score" where half of the values are above and half below.

Happy Holidays and a prosperous new year to all.

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Wrong

Median. The point 1/2 way between two ends of a string of points, i.e., 50% above and 50% below.

Average: All points added together and then divided by the number of points.

It is rare for both to coincide exactly.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Wrong

Median. The point 1/2 way between two ends of a string of points, i.e., 50% above and 50% below.

Average: All points added together and then divided by the number of points.

It is rare for both to coincide exactly.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

If that shop is part of a chain, stop in the next day and ask for the name and number of the district manager.

Then give that DM a call and ask him why that shop was closing early that evening. Don't whine about it ( I know you wouldn't, but there are others that read this NG and they might be inclined to), but just act a trifle concerned hopong that no one was ill or some such. Then thank the DM kindly and see if the s**t doesn't hit that shop and anybody who was on the sked the evening in question.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

effi posted for all of us....

He just took a dump that's why he knew it was fresh!

You don't expect that stuff to stay in you, do you?

Reply to
Tekkie

Noozer posted for all of us....

I don't know about that. He would still be $50 ahead because his income never seems to stall out.

Reply to
Tekkie