Stupid Store Employees / Inconsiderate Stores

Page 2 of 6
Gary posted for all of us....

Should have asked for Fromunda
--
Tekkie

Gary wrote:

Did you spell it out for them?
there.
William Brown wrote:

Hope not since he misspelled it....
clipped

Sounds like a college student. Probably working on MBA :o) How do so many survive? :o)
You expect consumers to be any more sensible than the idiots behind the counter?
How do you think things have gotten so bad to begin with?

Thats what made me wonder about this thread. The OP was annoyed at how big box stores operate but probably helped put the local store out of business.

store.
business.
Hey! You stop injecting facts into this discussion RIGHT THIS MINUTE! :-)
(Doug Kanter) says...

Remember, half the population is below average intelligence. Some of them are way below. It is fortunate that Ronald McDonald has created menial jobs for them.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

RE/

I have a recollection that 100 is, by definition, the average IQ....but that doesn't match up with my Webster's New Collegiate's definition of IQ. Can anybody cite some source that explains the number?
--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

Don't have a clue what Webster's New Collegiate says, but 100 is in the middle of the Average. You have to remember there is a range called average not just a single number. And no, half of the people are not below average intelligence. Half of the people are below 100 on the IQ scale. Average intelligence is considered one standard deviation on either side of 100, and that means 66-2/3 percent of the population is of average intelligence.
RE/

Does this support my suspicion that all around me are people with room-temperature IQs?
--
PeteCresswell

average is generally considered 80-100, but since it's really impossible to test for intelligence, it's not terribly accurate.

University psychologist, Lewis Terman, translated and revised the intelligence scale created by Alfred Binet and Theodore Simon. Hence the name of the new instrument, the Stanford- Binet Intelligence Scale; in this instrument, Terman used an intelligence quotient (IQ)the measure of mental age compared to chronological age. For example, a six year old child with a mental age of 6 would have an IQ of 100 (the average IQ score); a six year old child with a mental age of 3 would have an IQ of 67; a six year old child with a mental age of 9 would have an IQ of 150.

children, but what do you do about adults? Whats the difference between a mental age of 25, say, and a mental age of 45? Needless to say, the problems here are so complicated that today psychologists have given up the idea of an intelligence quotient per se although they have retained the use of the term IQ (meaning simply intelligence) along with the reference of 100 as an average IQ.

lee
Larry Caldwell wrote:

No, half the population is below the *median*, including you, apparently. (It's theoretically possible for say, 75% to be below average.)

Given a normal distribution of a particular characteristic over a large enough population, the median, the mean, and the mode will be the same. Yes, it's theoretically possible for 75% to be below average, but only if (a) the distribution of the characteristic being measured is not normal, or (b) the population is fairly small. Neither of those conditions pertains here.
Doug Miller wrote:

Right. one SD either side of the median is 2/3rds of the total in a standard distribution and that's what is meant by average intelligence
Doug Miller wrote:

The problem here is that we have no way of knowing what the curve looks like, because no measurement system has been defined, and we don't know other important factors about the population in question. While it's true that for a textbook gaussian curve the mean, median and mode are equal, the text book curve is theoretical, especially in this instance. If we're using a Stanford Binet IQ test, it could be, for any number of reasons, that there will be more "intelligent" people than "not intelligent" in which case the distribution could be skewed. I stand by the original statement, because it is, by definition, the number referred to, that being a "score" where half of the values are above and half below.
Happy Holidays and a prosperous new year to all.
Johnson Jr.) says...

Don't outsmart yourself. In intelligence tests, the average is defined as the median. It is not possible for the median and average to be different.
--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Larry Caldwell wrote:

I donno nutin bout no telleegent test, but a median is a midpoint in a series of numbers, it can and usually *is* different than the average, or mean.
Given: 1,3,8,10,12 median=8, avg(mean)=6.8
In the example above, 60% of the population was above average.
I don't know exactly how that is supposed to relate to 'stupid store employees' since the objective of the test is to quantify intelligence - something that has no direct bearing on stupidity, ignorance yes, stupidity no.
AL

This is not correct. Average and *mean* are the same by definition. The median is not the same.

Not if the population is sufficiently large, and the characteristic being measured is distributed normally across that population.

Yes, but (a) it's a small population, and (b) that's not a normal distribution. IQ tests are normed -- in fact, *must* be, to be statistically valid -- over a very large population, and the measurements follow a normal distribution. Thus, in IQ testing, the mean, the median, and the mode may not be absolutely identical, but there is necessarily very little difference between them.

Stupidity is the absence of intelligence, no?
Wrong
Median. The point 1/2 way between two ends of a string of points, i.e., 50% above and 50% below.
Average: All points added together and then divided by the number of points.
It is rare for both to coincide exactly.
Harry K